Thread: network problem

network problem

hey guys...i just reformatted one PC here in cafe and it i wanna get the networking back. but all my networking configuration wont work out. i can ping his local address through another pc but cant do a ping to the other. any suggestions on why am having these kind of problem? thank a lot.
    you can fool some people sumtime...but u cant fool all da people all da time - marley

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    .i just reformatted one PC here in cafe and it i wanna get the networking back. but all my networking configuration wont work out. i can ping his local address through another pc but cant do a ping to the other. any suggestions on why am having these kind of problem?
    What do you mean you can ping his "local address through another pc"?

Are you saying you can ping 127.0.0.1 from another PC? (You do realize that 127.0.0.1 is always the default localhost address for EVERY machine?)

Or do you mean you can ping an assigned IP?

If it's the second choice, is it possible that another machine has that IP? Are you sure it's the machine you're working on (ipconfig /all)?

OS type?

Is this static IP or DHCP?

Do you have a default gateway if there is an IP assigned?

Is there a firewall somewhere?

Keep in mind that we aren't standing next to you at the machine so asking these questions, while they may seem basic, are helpful for us to determine what has worked and what hasn't.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

my dhcp is not working but when i assign an ip address all i can do is access the network. my network does have an internet connection and mine only doesn't have. other pc's here in my network does have an internet connection. what will i do. please help. thank you
    you can fool some people sumtime...but u cant fool all da people all da time - marley

AOs Resident Troll
    well...you havent answered the questions MsM asked...so it makes it tough

To get to the internet...you will need the gateway address

to browse...depending on your os...and the network setup you may need a wins address..

maybe an dns too...

Then again..are you an authorized user?? on the domain\active directory

again...more info is needed

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer