Thread: Hard drive(s) being very slow...

Hard drive(s) being very slow...

Heya,

So, I got a brand new mobo and cpu, and took my hard drives from my old computer system and put them onto this new one.

The problem is that I'm averaging (according to Windows Speed Test in the HDD section) only about 12.5 mb/s for one of them, and 50 or so on the other.

Do you guys know how I can remedy this? Especially the first one, as it's just intolerable, and it's my master with my OS on it, so it makes start-ups of programs really annoying and elongated.

Thanks in advance, folks.

was the OS install a clean install?
    the drivers for the MoBo, are they the latest or just the default Windaz dirvers?
    are the drives ATA 100, if they are are you useing the 80core cable.
    did you bow to mecca before the install (my appologies to our Muslim members if any offence for this j/k)
    I am assuming your useing Win XP?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

OS was not a clean install. I just transferred the hard drives over.
    The drivers are all completely up-to-date on the mobo.
    The drives are ATA133, not sure about the cable as of right now.
    lol, no.
    Yes, Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,

Not too sure (it is early yet, and the caffeine hasn't kicked in) Is this a general problem, or is more noticeable when you first start the machine?

I do wonder about just migrating HDDs with XP, as it does not seem to be as simple as it was with earlier operating systems. Did you re-activate it?

Also, is this an older HDD that is giving the slow performance?.............have you booted into setup and checked that it is being properly recognised?

Cheers

All points to problems with the winbloze installation..
    My pick at this point is try a Warm/repair install,
    but would recommend clean install..

I would be interested to see what real solution comes out without doing the above....
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yeh, it's an old-ish HDD (about three years or so). Yes, I did re-activate it (it was a pain in the arse).

I keep getting a bunch of bsod's, too, naming "bad pool calling" or something similar. I'm thinking a clean install is in order, indeed.

Thanks guys.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    If the set up is just the way you like it : Don't foret to use FAST wizard to save your settings and put them to CD ............Before the install

XP - start / all programmes / accessories / system tools / Files And Settings Transfer wizard
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Actualy jehnx,

Thank You...

encountered a similar problem today at work.. and bugger me if it didnt run like a snail on mogadon (spelling) and BSOD's every which way.. untill every last driver was reinstalled.. then the **** wouldnt install SP2.. CLEAN install.. all ok.. no bsod . speedy machine (huh for a seedy client..-reminds me.. need to do a test on a couple of DVD burners tomorrow.. gotta empty my 40Gb recovery drive .. gee cant lose the 30GB of movies he has.. )