Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crack this code I made

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You might want to lock your directory down: http://solafidefarms.com/Javascript/ Might do better than worrying about the strength of your crypto.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

is this another keyless encryption algorithm?

Sort of-it is actually a random key(see those numbers? that's the key.), expanded Vinginere square.

Regal Making Handler
    This code is not important to the secure credit card transaction. Even if the code is uncrackable. This is because the submitter will be sending the details of his/her credit card in clear across what is, in effect the world wide insecure web.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    You might want to lock your directory down: http://solafidefarms.com/Javascript/ Might do better than worrying about the strength of your crypto.
    LOL!
    Yepp, that would be one BIG hole alright and still is!! hehe!

solafide - Decrypting this is very easy. I simply look up the index of each character in the array, and walk backwards by the number provided. The element in the array that I arrive at is the original value. This is very weak because you give everyone everything needed to perform the attack (the array) and the method is very linear. Theoretically with a large enough string of encrypted text, some pattern analysis would let anyone reconstruct the table -- so even issuing everyone a unique array wouldn't work. It inherently leaks way too much information -- bad.

Don't even consider using something you come up with in your free time to transfer credit card information? Who is liable if the information is 'cracked'? You!

Personally I really dislike wasting my time if no code is provided. With how this forum is so lifeless though I went through and read past the first post and found where you actually provided some code. So incase anyone else reads this post: remember that anyone can produce gibberish and call it encrypted and secure. Post code and your request may be considered, but just remember that even professionals in this field of crypto have a hard time coming up with good algorithms, so many don't waste their time trying. (IE, MD5/SHA-1 have finally had some evidence showing them to be cracked / weakened -- http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=266107)

I'm not a pro in cryptography myself (going to be a photographer in college after HS instead), though I spend enough time studying it (crypto & photography) to understand what is going on under the hood in a lot of the stuff I do...

Just Another Geek
    The code he provided here doesn't even encrypt properly. Any character used of the top half of the letters array will result in "undefined" in the "encrypted" text.

I don't even consider this an encryption. It's an obfuscation routine, nothing more, nothing less. And as Tim_axe noted, it's damn easy to "crack".
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.