Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remotely controlling a computer

Remotely controlling a computer

Ok to get this out of the way, I’m not asking about hacking. Okwith that out of the way, I help my grandma out with her computer when ever I go back home from college. In steed of her having to wait for me to go home to help her, I was thinking about setting something up so I could help her out will I’m still here at college. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on a good (hopefully free program) that I can use to remotely control her computer. Any advice will be very helpful.

Hi

If it is Windows XP, I would go with Remote Desktop Connection[1].
    Clients are also available for other OS[2]. I know a lot of people
    helping their family remotely with it

/edit: Traffic is 128bit-encrypted if I can believe them...

Cheers.

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...e_rem_iusk.asp
    [2] http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...dclientdl.mspx
    http://mac.sofotex.com/download-121733.html
    [3] http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...e_rem_quaq.asp
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Thank you for your quick replay. The Remote Desktop sounds like a good option to use.

Yeah it works great ! Just explain to her how to send you an invitation !
    O.G at A.O

I use remote admin or vnc tunneled over vnc depending on the firewall rules.

AFAIK... remote admin is only good for windows xp or windows 2000/2003 server terminal services.

For remote desktop protocol (RDP), make sure to allow port 3389 on her firewall. Or, you can walk her through disabling it temporarily when she needs your help. If she is on broadband with a router, enable remote admin on the rotuer and you can change the "firewall" rules yourself to allow port 3389 to her PC.

One quick and easy way to always be able to find her computer...

dynamic dns

I use www.dyndns.org

Whenever my IP changes, I have a program that will automatically update the dyndns servers.
    It changes and takes effect within 30 seconds or so. Sometimes faster.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    I use remote admin or vnc tunneled over vnc depending on the firewall rules.
    What I meant to say there was I use vnc tunneled over ssh depending on firewall rules.
    Note: stunnel can also be used.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Actually, I have a little follow up.
    Is there a way to restrict access for RDP to WinXP Pro, or Win2000/2003 TS (admin mode) as far as allowed client IP goes?
    One nasty part with allowing for RDP is the fact if someone tries to hack in, using the admin account, which can't be locked out.
    One way to make it harder is of course to rename the administrative account.
    I would really love it if I was able to restrict it to only a few allowed IP addresses.
    Not sure what the easiest solution would be to make that happen?

Hmm... actually, Win XP and Win2003 has that new built in firewall, it will do that easily... but what about Win2000...? (I still got a bunch of Win2000 servers to take care of... )

With RDP in windows 2000 server (terminal services), you can specify which users/groups are allowed to connect.

Windows 2000 workstation does not support RDP incoming connections AFAIK.
    You must use another remote admin program for that.
    You can, however, make outgoing RDP connections from a windows 2000 workstation.

With windows XP you can do the same, however, the local admin or anyone that is a member of the local administartor group (normally your domain admins will be too) is allowed by default. You can use the local security policy to restrict specific users. See attachment.

You can use IPSec to restrict which computers can connect.
    TS has written a nice tutorial about it here.

I recommend creating the ACLs on your router (if you have the ability).

Ahh.. you can actually deny the Administrator TS access?! Cool, that helps!

Yeah, haven't messed much with IPSec... maybe should look in to that.. thanks!

Thanks for ever ones quick replies. I've decided to go with the vnc connection. My question is i have found a program that encrypts the data sent to and from each computer. Is there still a need to create a ssh tunnel for a more secure connection?