Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remotely controlling a computer

I suppose it couldn't hurt ya to have it encryped twice...

Just like VPN over IKE/IPSec and then ssh to a box after your're inside...

What is the program that you are talking about?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi

One vnc program I know that encrypts is tightvnc[1], which offers besides quite a reasonable
    compression, an automatic ssh-tunneling. But still - what is the all-in-one solution?

Originally posted here by dayneman1
    I've decided to go with the vnc connection. My question is i have found a program that encrypts the data sent to and from each computer. Is there still a need to create a ssh tunnel for a more secure connection?
    One general question: What bandwidth is needed to have vnc (via ssh) working smoothly?
    I usually work with (very) fast connections so I don't have experience.

I have a remark here: Besides the "facts" that the Remote Desktop (RDC) is encrypted and
    closes the screen on the "remote location" (nobody can see what you are doing), it is less
    bandwidth consuming. I think that RDC is sending MFC&co information rather than a
    "screenshot". Did I misunderstood the working of RDC and/or vnc?

dayneman1 , you might consider this, if the connection is slow.

Cheers

[1] http://www.tightvnc.com/
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Not sure how current this is, but just thought I would bring it up, so somebody else who knows better could comment about it.

If I don't remember wrong, the latest Whoppix CD has a demo on how vulnerable the VNC program is, where you can get full control over a box somehow. But maybe that was for an older version, or just in some rare setup or something, not sure. And maybe RDP is as vulnerable too?

Anyone with better knowledge?