Thread: one silly question

one silly question

Does anti virus block the connection sometimes such as terminal services,telnet etc. Last time i remeber to connect my computer to ISP I had to shut down AV? how's this possible AV denying accress? provided that,AV is running in normal configuration, there can't be done much in AV, beside updates anyways, Can somebody explain me this?

The AV is not what blocks the connection. The firewall that comes with the AV is. Sometimes firewalls work too well and they block off the ports needed for your internet connection. You just need to configure them correctly (default is usualy not the best config) Look for the firewall config and make sure you have allthe ports open that you need. certain applications use different ports, and by default alot of them are closed becasue they provide access points for virii and other malacios software.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    what AV do you have

Re: one silly question

Originally posted here by linux1880
    Does anti virus block the connection sometimes such as terminal services,telnet etc. Last time i remeber to connect my computer to ISP I had to shut down AV? how's this possible AV denying accress? provided that,AV is running in normal configuration, there can't be done much in AV, beside updates anyways, Can somebody explain me this?
    Chances are, your problem might have come from another program receiving an error. It may have just "dumbed-down" the error, so any user may have some idea. So as the first post said, it'd be your firewall...

Also, if your sitting behind a router ... your problem may also exist with nat and/or content filtering systems. ie Dans Guardian (which i hate mind you. but it works. thats why i hate it.)
    http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...88x31/take.gif
    If You\'ve Done Something Right. People Wont Know You\'ve Done Anything At All - God (futurama)

what AV do you have
    hmmm i cant think of any AV that works as a fire wall and a AV .may be norten ,but both of them have to be installed seperatly
    The firewall that comes with the AV is. Sometimes firewalls work too well and they block off the ports needed for your internet connection.
    dead right!!!

Last MacAfee version (8.0) comes with fw activated by default... I'm not sure what is it blocking since I didn't have time to check it, but you must disable it if you don't want it ...

Well, I don't have any router behind that. Modem directly connecting to computer and I haven't installed any firewall there. It is win2k server, NAT is set up perfectly fine as far as I know. I have left DNS service as default. Everything else is just fine. But when i try to telnet or connect using terminal services it refuses. Oh yeah, AV is norton.