Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aim Virus - February 14

Aim Virus - February 14

Watch out for a new aim virus. It's not really that bad but it prevents your browser from using cookies and puts up random away messages. If you see an away message that says: PICS FROM VALENTINES with a link do not click it. If you happen to click it and you have Windows XP you can system restore and it should fix the problem.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Can you post some sources of this information?

Thank you.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Do we really need someone saying not to download and open anything that some **** sends you on AIM?...... Then again after hearing Horsey tell about his co-workers....

Hi Gore,

Do we really need someone saying not to download and open anything that some **** sends you on AIM?...... Then again after hearing Horsey tell about his co-workers....
    Well,no.................but quite a few of us would pay good money for someone they would actually listen to

I have not heard anything about this particular threat over here, and we are at least 5 hours ahead of you guys in the time zones...............

There have been a couple of Valentine's related malwares though but one was a worm and the other a mass mailer.

It could be a hoax perhaps?

Around August this advisory went out:
    http://secunia.com/advisories/12198/

What people didn't really notice was this:

NOTE: Various other issues were also reported, where a large amount of resources can be consumed on a user's system.
    I bet dollars to donuts this is a variation of that part of the advisory, where the away message design can be abused.

If I'm right, it's nothing that needs to be addressed.

AO Senior Cow-beller

Re: Aim Virus - February 14

Originally posted here by Jgordon0505
    Watch out for a new aim virus. It's not really that bad but it prevents your browser from using cookies and puts up random away messages. If you see an away message that says: PICS FROM VALENTINES with a link do not click it. If you happen to click it and you have Windows XP you can system restore and it should fix the problem.
    1 post, new member, no info, posting a new thread with worthless info that looks a lot like an email that would get automatically deleted by most of us?

Hoax, troll, or various other unwanteds.

<killfile>
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Alrighty then. I see how it is around here.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Be fair Jg :
    you ARE new, on a site where paranoia isn't a complaint, it's compulsory ..............

your profile has NO details in it, so we have nothing to build on [even though you could LIE [shock / gasp / horror] ]

And as TH13 asked :
    if you could post links to the source, it would help.

And, Welcome to AO.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

JG : watch out new virus....it infects your PC by viewing of any site containg the word 'the' not only does it scamble your all files on your HD but it also infects other household items using a secret microwave super flux hyperradial transmitter hiden in every home PC by the NSA. Once infected your household items (toasters, TV remotes, Cd players, etc) will develop a highly formed AI which will make them self-aware and they will resent their Human slave masters rising up in rebelion to burn your toast and change TV channels just as an integral plot line is about to be revealed!!

I have no source to link you to - nor can I even tell you were I got this information (for then I would need to kill you and erase the memory of anyone who knew you so that it appears you never exsisted) but honestly its 100% true!!!!

I promise

v_Ln

I understand I am new around here. I had just found out about the virus yesterday and there was no information on it yet so I guess I couldn't prove it.