Thread: hdd's causing new asus board to freeze while booting

Blast From the Past

hdd's causing new asus board to freeze while booting

hello all
    last night bought a new A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, socket A with an XP 3000 and 2 sticks of 512 corsair ram

if i have any hard drives pluged into this system it will freeze during boot....wont even be able to access bios menu...tired 3 hard different drives, 3 cables, switched out the ram, switched processor, upgraded the bios to latest revision

SATA works...and i would just use that...but i need my cdroms

i just bought this board last night at Tigerdirect... so if it is dead i can bring it back and get a new one...but if any of you know something about this please tell me
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

upgraded the bios to latest revision
    I take it that it is during Windows Boot that it freezes?

if it is windows.. then look at the install.. you probably have a driver problem.. especially if your hdd has an existing windows installation.... you may need to do a warm install.. or better a clean install..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Blast From the Past
    sorry wasnt specific.....the bios freezes...the hdds are freshly formated

it will check the ram...give the ok message...then lock....
    without hard drives...it runs perfectly

k
    40 or 80 core cables to the HDD?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Blast From the Past
    80 core cables...took the cable that said "hdd" in asus box and used it for hdds...tested in another box and works great

im starting to think hardware failure on the board...its been 24 hours since i bought it so im just gonna take it back and get a new one

np..

have had a prob with (even on old drives) when 40 cor cable used on new boards..

is it possable a pin isnt bent in the socket on the mobo,

are you able to try a newer HDD (not so easy for some sry)
    for that matter is it possable to double check your drives in another machine?

hmmm also.. do a full reset on the MOBO.. then see what happens..last step b4 returning

I think I have covered all bases..

Blast From the Past
    reset bios to defaults, flashed bios, tested all 3 hdds in a different machine, tested the 2 cables i have in a different machine, tested the ram, tested the processor, tested all the pci cards, tested the vid card....everything in that box works teh way it should except the board....all pins are accounted for and perfectly straight

i have 4 hdds in this machine...a 20, 14, 10, and a 6 gig hdd...yes there older but for now its all i have
    the 10 and 6 are on sata...work fine and whatnot....all the drives work if i plug them into sata...but i need my ide ...and who wants a half working board

already packaged it up and are heading to tigerdirect in orland park, chichago land area tomorrow

Return your Motherboard. Asus is pretty touchy, don't touch the bottom on the mobo, just the sides.

Cheers
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

yep solution .303.... shoot it

is it a rev 1.0 or 2.0?