Internet Explorer 7 to be released
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 7 to be released

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Internet Explorer 7 to be released

Interesting. Perhaps an attempt to reclaim that measely 5% that Firefox has? Hopefully it will be effective.

Source: CNN

Microsoft plans new browser version
    Gates says Internet Explorer 7 will have security features to prevent viruses, spyware, 'phishing.'
    February 15, 2005: 1:43 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. will release a new version of Internet Explorer, the world's most widely used Internet browsing software, with new, built-in security features, Chairman Bill Gates said Tuesday.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Sounds good but I still probably wont use it as my primary browser.

it will be disposed at X date...and at date X+5 we will see the first patch!

Banned
    it will be disposed at X date...and at date X+5 we will see the first patch!
    < bitter sarcasim >You mean it might have errors, like every other peice of software ever made and thus might need a patch?!?! Oh noooss!! Like firefox, Opera, MyIE2, Safari, linux kernel, etc etc... It's going to be an utter catastrophy..... < /bitter sarcasim >

Don't knock it just yet. Big Bill has been buying just about every small security company he can so I figure that if he lets all of the people he took over actually design the thing it will be as secure as it gets. Oh wait, I am sorry the big M machine is going to axe all of those security experts upon merger and release another peice of crap browser.

And by battling phishing does he mean that you will get your very own home security analyst who will teach you appropriate security measures for web browsing and email use? No browser will stop anyone from random clickthroughs or DNS spoofing.

AO Senior Cow-beller

Re: Internet Explorer 7 to be released

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Interesting. Perhaps an attempt to reclaim that measely 5% that Firefox has? Hopefully it will be effective.
    Whaddayamean "Hopefully it will be effective"?!?!? Effective at reclaiming the 5%?!?

Oh, effective as an application that isn't riddled with vulnerabilities that are major threats NOT in and of themselves, necessarily, but because Microsoft has taken such great effort to integrate IE into the OS, thereby opening vulnerabilities that would otherwise have remained in the browser.

Well, they made some real gains with 6.0, only to be overrun. I don't suppose this will be any different.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Banned
    Well, let's look back in history for a bit. The origonal IE 4 and 5 were horrible, because they were released into 95 and 98 as a beta product. They figured that they would rewrite it quickly, but the marketshare for Windows 98 grew so fast, they couldn't get around to a ground-up rewrite of the code.

IE 6 and IE 6 SP2 are still based off of that same old "beta" code, thus the inherit insecurity and lack of functionality no matter how many patches are given out. According to the MS beta testing department, IE 7 is going to be rewritten from the ground up to avoid the "beta code" problem.

AOs Resident Troll
    You know some of us have to use IE at various sites...due to policy..

I want tab browsing

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    well they can go ahead with their damn crap browser thingie. I love my firefox i am never
    going back! >_<
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

no one will switch back to IE unless there is a significant advantage for using it. I think the most they will do is stop eople from getting rid of IE. Until they buy the mozilla group that is...BUAHAHAHA
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com