More MS AntiSpyware info. Take the test, AO.

Thread: More MS AntiSpyware info. Take the test, AO.

Arrow More MS AntiSpyware info. Take the test, AO.

I'm sure many of you have been checking out MS's anti spyware software. I'm sure most of you were doing some comparisons between MS and other popular scans. I took a dirty computer and came up with this:

1st scan- MS: 14 deleted.
    2nd scan- Ad-Aware: 857 deleted.
    3rd scan- Spybot: 42 deleted. (Two could not be deleted until restart - Altnet & Huntbar.)

AO, do the same and post your findings. Make sure you do not quarantine any found items.

14 - 857...
    [gloworange]DISLEX[/gloworange]

DISLEX,

Out of curiosity, the 14 that MS caught -- are they on the Ad-Aware's list or Spybot's list? In other words, are they mutually exclusive? If they are, then that's a good thing (sort of), and it's worth getting the MS version on top of the other two.

-ik
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

I'm sorry, dude. I didn't pay enough attention to answer that. I will look better in future scans and post up the info along with the scan info.
    [gloworange]DISLEX[/gloworange]

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    MS just bought Giant.... In numerous "independent" tests giant proved to be the most effective.... Really silly queston:-

Were most of those 857 "tracking cookies"? Because, IIRC, Giant didn't worry too much about cookies.... it was the executables they were interested in.... But I could be wrong... I thought I was once.... but I was wrong....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    My experience so far in the comparison between MS, Adaware SE and Spybot 1.3 is that they all have their good points. Adaware seems to catch more stuff, but they almost exclusively amount to tracking cookies--especially after an initial cleanup.

Spybot has it's strengths. I use it when I find a system misbehaving and I need a quick check and clean. Adaware is the deep cleaner. MS is still in test mode and I don't use it on my production systems, yet. But, it doesn catch things the others don't and does a fair job of cleanup.

However, we will be getting the enterprise level spyware tools when our Symantec CE is upgraded next month. I'll be checking back with the results of our tests on that. Symantec will do an extended scan now, and remove the spyware executables, but doesn't clean up registry and cache. The upgrade is supposed to be a more fully featured solution.

EDIT:
    BTW that is 500!!!!!