Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compuer Clock Keeps Resetting

Compuer Clock Keeps Resetting

The clock on my laptop keeps resetting itself to a different time, about once a week, about the same time of the week, I am now noticing, for the last three weeks. I just scanned the laptop with spybot, ad-aware, and norton antivirus 05, after just scanning them this past Friday, as I do every week, and didn't find anything. I have been unable to get into safe mode by pressing F8 repeatedly the past few nights, so I have been unable to scan everything that way. Yeah, it's no big deal resetting the clock to the correct time, but IF it is anything, I don't know or want to know what else it might be doing, again, if it is anything? Anyone got any ideas?
    \"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends\"-Ed Norton/25th Hour

[quote]I don't know or want to know what else it might be doing[/qoute]

I don't know but DO want to know what else it might be doing
    \"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends\"-Ed Norton/25th Hour

Maybe you have a bad battery.

http://www.geek.com/sysup/upques132.htm (from google)

Does the system clock change or does this happen in windows only (I'm assuming windows)? For example, if you boot, I would check the BIOS first (especially if the clock resets are predictable) so that you can tell if it is windows changing your clock or if there is glitch somewhere else.

Also, Does the clock reset WHILE you're in windows, or on reboot?

...or you could just shell out $2 for a new battery and hope it works. Either way
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

We get that sometimes with our laptops when the CMOS batteries get weak, although not at the same time every week. Next time it happens check your BIOS settings to set if anything has reset.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

AO French Antique News Whore
    You have a bad CMOS battery, to buy one at your local computer shop. It cost less that 5$. Good Luck.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Sorry, forgot to mention that, yes, I am using Windows XP, but I whenever I am using it, I always have it plugged in. The only time I let it run on the battery is if I am doing something and change locations throughout the house. So that is only for a couple minutes at the most that it is running off the battery, and if I do take it somewhere, I always find an outlet to plug it in to.

[quote]Does the clock reset WHILE you're in windows, or on reboot?[\quote]

I notice it within about five minutes after powering up

[quote]I would check the BIOS first[\quote]

I can't get the computer to bring up that menu that will allow me to get into the BIOS or run it in safe mode. I been doing as other suggested and press F8 repeatedly, but I always just end up restarting it a bunch of times and give up after about close to the tenth time. I know it is something I am doing wrong, at least I think it is, cause I read a post from nilhil in which he said it could take numerous tries to get the screen to come up which allows you to access the BIOS and run the computer in safe mode, but I tried numerous times and end up giving up on it to try again later.

Oh yeah, one other thing I did notice today was, when I was trying to click on the link of AO, the first time I clicked it, it brought me to an.com, the second time I clicked it, it brought me to anti.com, the third time was the charm though. Don't know if this would have anything to do with it, it is probably going to start a whole new discussion. But again, I scanned everything with spybot, adaware and norton AV 05 right before submitting this thread, my first post that is, to cover my *ss

I think you have misunderstood people here - they aint talking about the actual laptop battery (if you can buy one of them for under $5 I would love to see it!) but your CMOS battery which is attached to your motherboard [CMOS Battery definition]

v_Ln

But the laptops brand new, just bought it after new years, does is it using it if you leave it on stand-by? Cause that's the only thing I can think of, and even then, it isn't on standby for too long, well, sometimes it is

********** |ceWriterguy
    The battery is used by the cpu whenever power isn't present from the power supply, so no, not when in standby. Odds are the laptop you purchased was used as a display model at one time and the battery was worn down, or else it was a bad battery to begin with. It's a pretty simple operation to change one out, and it's a mere 2 bucks as mentioned earlier in this thread. Try a new battery. If you're still having problems, repost and we'll work from there.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!