Thread: Windows Crash Logs

Windows Crash Logs

Stupid question of the week....it seems to be slipping everyone's minds at work too....
    What is the extension of the file for windows crash logs. Example: A program crashes, you then see the "send to Microsoft" dialogue box. You can save that file, but what do you open it up with? Notepad shows garbage info.

ThanX
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

ok you may want the full file.. and you did ask for the extension for that file.. that I don't know..

to get the information on just one event.. whay not just go to the EVENT VIEWER , select the error event you are interested in press the "Copy to Clipboard" button, open your Fav text editor and paste it there?

an example of of the info:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ati2mtag
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 108
    Date: 6/02/2005
    Time: 3:12:15 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: UND3RTAK3R
    Description:
    The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 52 00 ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 6c 00 04 c0 ....l..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

A customer of mine sent in the crash file without the extension on it. They cant remember what the extension was...so I have no clue as to how to open it. Event viewer shows nothing other then an app ending.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

ok..I see .. my answer is definatly not what your after.. sorry
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

No worries, hopefully someone will

Are you talking about dump files? *.dmp? If so WinDbg from microsoft will open and analyze

I tried the debug program but that didn't work. Here is some more background info....
    InetInfo crashed. When it crashed, it generated an application crash log if you will. This log could be sent to MS or saved...it was saved...but what do you read it with?

email me the file dinowuff@hotmail.com

I really wish I could but its for a university and I can't tell if there is any confidential information in there. IP addresses etc....thats what sucks so bad. Oh well. I'll keep on Googling away. When I opened the file, the first line of text states garbled stuff with a mention of manifest.txt...whatever that means..