Thread: Gartner urges caution before downloading Firefox

Post Gartner urges caution before downloading Firefox

Gartner means that Firefox has become so popular that they will start attracting more and more viruses and spyware.
    So if your reason to switch web browser is security, you should think again.

Well... I kind of agree. Sure there are less viruses directed to Groupwise compared to Exchange. But which mail server would you have most use out of as an end user?!

I think the discussions have gone so far to be secure, that a lot of places are swithing to less popular software, which are less targeted by hackers, that they end up with so crappy software that the end user is getting all forgotten about and ends up in a way less productive environment!

Sometimes you need to accept the most popular software, so the end user gets what he/she wants, and then spend your time/money to make it more secure around it instead of throwing out the software itself...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Gartner is notorious for releasing opinions well after the threat is known. That's being nice too. Here is another example of their stellar "professionals" releasing information that is discussed in security 101 classes.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

FUD*
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

********** |ceWriterguy
    This particular topic has been hashed 'ad infinitum ad nauseum' here:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hlight=firefox

and here:

and it's most recently being hashed here:

do we really need yet another thread about which browser is better? You say use msie, I say use Firefox - bhfd.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Excuse me!
    Some people are rather rude.

My message in whole was about a new statement from Gartner. And my message in whole was not just Firefox vs. IE, but about popular software in general.

SawPer,

l3lacklce really isn't trying to be rude...just direct....personally I prefer my custom Star Trek Interface Edition Tech Browser...it comes with an assortment of security measures...phazers...photon torpedoes...klingon cloaking devices...a little tribble in the help menu...and an array of beautiful women dressed in tight clothes.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Gartner means that Firefox has become so popular that they will start attracting more and more viruses and spyware.
    So if your reason to switch web browser is security, you should think again.
    From your opening paragraph, implying that this is what your post is about. The rest of the post is slanted in the same direction, therefore I interpreted it as a 'use msie' advertisement. Since we had enough of those already I posted as I did. The last link in my previous post is less than 1 week old and still quite active, and adresses the same, tired arguments people present from both sides. Your thread is redundant.

As Egal stated, I wasn't trying to be rude, although I'm quite sure my brusque methods can easily be interpreted as such. I was merely pointing out the obvious.

Oh, and an aside to S3cur|ty4ng31:
    If you're so adamant about someone's post that you feel free to neg them (whee! a whopping 3 points...doh.) Feel free to post in the thread as well. I'm quite sure we'd all love to read your opinions on the matter. Or are you SawPer's alter ego, and decided to hit me with 3 instead of just one? Impressive.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Originally posted here by |3lack|ce
    From your opening paragraph, implying that this is what your post is about. The rest of the post is slanted in the same direction, therefore I interpreted it as a 'use msie' advertisement.
    BlackIce: As I already said, that wasn't the case. And I'm sorry you got neg. AP from someone.

The whole point of the message was about Gartner's statement and how many companies are getting rid of really good software, from the end user perspective.
    And my example about Groupwise vs. Exchange is a case from my own company. We have lots of complaining end users wanting to use Outlook, but the boss won't get rid of Groupwise because of the very reason of less viruses directed towards Groupwise...

In my wifes company they use SquirrelMail. She did use OWA previously, but in this case again, they want SquirrelMail instead, because it's less targeted...

My hope was a discussion about different softwares and if it is possible to keep the most popular ones and still stay secure?

Are there other people out there with similar situations? Are there any other softwares that end up being denied because of being too popular?

SawPer,

From a corporate viewpoint, I feel you are missing several important aspects.

1. Using popular software makes it easier and cheaper to recruit.
    2. Using popular software reduces training costs.
    3. People with popular software skills don't get paid as much as those with rare and exotic ones.
    4. Outside of IT (perhaps) there is very much a "follow the herd" culture.
    5. Outside of IT there is little or no security consciousness.

Unless you can demonstrate sound architectural reasons, the only argument for rare applications is "security through obscurity", which is not particularly convincing.

just my £0.02

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    it seems to me this warning is rather...redundant. the bottom line is, you should excercise caution when downloading ANYTHING. popularity is not the only factor that influences where a virus comes from. any file could have virus, not just popular programs or applications.
    the point is, use some common sense and run your AV regularly and you should be alright.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.