Video/Movies for wargames?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Video/Movies for wargames?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Video/Movies for wargames?

Ok. I'm contemplating (since I was asked by a student) playing a movie (fictional) or video (non-fictional) during my intro class' wargames. The fictional stuff would be things like Wargames, Hackers, Swordfish, etc. and I was contemplating the H2K2 complete VCD set for the video. I'm looking for more suggestions. I'd like to keep it related (the students have been warned about Hollywood's view on "hackers" but it would make it fun).

SO.. any suggestions from the peanut and popcorn gallery?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi MsMittens,

The only hacking I do...is first thing in the morning before I light up...but these might interest you...

http://www.defcon.org/
    Welcome to DEF CON, the Largest Underground Hacking Convention in the World

http://www.betaversion.net/movies.html

Eg

********** |ceWriterguy
    Stick with the old standard - show 'em WarGames.

"Greetings Professor Faulken"
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

http://www.thebroken.org/ !!!

Hacking with Ramzi!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

MsMittens I have a SQL injection video from Microsoft its a 9.48MB wmv file and 8.89MB rar'ed up. It starts off by showing you attacks common mistakes yada yada ill happily share oh and its on for 65 minutes
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

DVDs and VHS tapes I own:

Code Hunter - May want to try this one, it's AWESOME

Hackers

Wargames

Revolution OS

Freedom Downtime

Anti - Trust

The Net

The Matrix

House on Haunted Hill - "I don't know how you hacked my computer and changed the guest list"

Operation Takedown

Jurassic Park

I know I have more.....

Anyway there is a start.

Hey Hey,

I think that the biggest ones have already been covered.

Hackers -- Classic movie... good look into 'techno-culture of the early 90s' but that's about it... no realism...
    Operation Takedown (Unofficially Hackers 2) -- Never legally released in North America (at least it hadn't been last time I heard) but an amazing movie none-the-less.... it's also decently realistic since it's actually based on fact (in some form or another)...
    Code Hunter -- I really enjoyed this movie.... We rented it out of pure boredom one night because it looked interesting in the video store... The story-line was interesting and somewhat believable.
    Wargames -- The original... nothing more needs to be said about this...
    Anti-Trust -- I really liked this one because it poked fun @ Microsoft but it wasn't really a wargames hackerish type movie... at least for the most part.. but it was definately computer focused.
    Pirates of Silicon Valley -- Made for TV... again not hackerish but definately good for a technology point of view... MS VS Apple...
    Swordfish was another good one... you get a lot of Hollywood movie magic in that one..

A few things that I'd look into are the Videos that comes on the DVD with Hacking Exposed: NSS and from the Hollywood side.. Sneakers... I'm actually really surpised that it wasn't mentioned here. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105435/. It's the ultimate in hacker/crypto movies... Definately very interesting.

Another not hackerish movie... but definately classic computer geek is Weird Science..

My professor showed us Terminated 2 for Security Class... He wanted to show the whole thing but couldn't get the copyright to do so, they would only let us have a 10 minute segment... so he showed the section where they broke into Cyberdyne (I'm sure I spelled that wrong).... and used it to demonstrate types of physical security.

If you want more realistic type stuff...

There was a documentary in 2001 called Hackers that was intersting...
    The Hippies from Hell (HFH) have an interesting video @ http://hippies.waag.org/project.php

Anyways..

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

MsM, Do you already have the h2k2 videos? I saw it was $200 for the complete set...

I've downloaded all the audio to listen to in the car. Most of them are decent.

How is the video? Is it worth the $200?

Should I just go find a .torrent link?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    How is the video? Is it worth the $200?
    Haven't yet. But if the audio is decent it might be worthwhile for the class.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You can get access to the audio portion just like the they put their radio shows.

There is a link to it on the main www.2600.com page.

I used winhttrack to copy. I excluded the .m3u files, as they just stream. I just downloaed the site and .mp3 files. The mp3 files are about 450mb all together for the ~79 hours of audio. There are 78 files all together. If you burn each to a CD for normal playback... then you're looking at 78 CDs. If you keep in mp3 format, they'll all fit on one CD.

Some of the lectures are easy to follow with just the audio.

However, some have a lot of visual that will be harder to follow. I was listening to the as400 presentation in the car. Since I work with an as400, it is easy to follow. If you've never worked with one, then it could be a lot harder to imagine it.

I was "nice" to their server and downloaded one link at a time and capped my download at 25KB/s.

I set it before I went to bed and had it when I woke up.