Thread: Yet Another Access Problem!

Question Yet Another Access Problem!

So my boss zinged me a question about Access, which unfortunately, I only have minimal experience with, so I have no clue where to even start finding a solution. Mind if I throw it at you guys? (Heck, I'm not even sure what to google for!)

Here's the question:

The installation of access on my machine gives me the following when I try to link a text file: Database or Object is Read Only.

That same database imports fine when I run it from the Access on [our terminal server]. Somehow there is got to be a local setting on my machine causing the problem.

is anythign else accessing the file at the same time?

v_Ln

Where are the files.................on the server I suppose?.................seems like an authority problem?

Can you copy one of these files (or a limited record sample) onto the local machine and see if he can link to it then.

I am trying to determine if this is a network authority, or a local problem.

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Access will often tell you a file is "read only" when it has been denied access to it.... It's a permissions issue. Access lies like a cheap Japanese watch with it's error messages.... It takes many hours of troubleshooting to work them out usually because the lies it tells can be so egregious.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides