Thread: NEW VIRUS! BE WARNED MSN'ers

Exclamation NEW VIRUS! BE WARNED MSN'ers

new virus about, called W32. BROPIA, infects through exploits in MSN messenger, normally through attachments, latest info (and removal) posted on Symantec website, no removal tool as of yet, hopefully will be soon, so watch out messenger people.

Just thought i'd let you all know (even though you probably do already)

[glowpurple]WIREDBOY[/glowpurple]

Hey Hey,

Bropia has been around for a few weeks and there's already a removal tool for three of the versions http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

Peace,
    HT

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    And I think it was mentioned here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=266141
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

its an updated version, no removal tool as of yet. its the M Version. just thought i'd let you know, comes in files with names like "titanic 2.pif", "she's got a beautiful ass.pif", "john kerry as super chicken.pif" etc etc

AO Senior Cow-beller

just an fyi...

Originally posted here by wiredboy
    its an updated version, no removal tool as of yet. its the M Version. just thought i'd let you know, comes in files with names like "titanic 2.pif", "she's got a beautiful ass.pif", "john kerry as super chicken.pif" etc etc
    This sort of information would fall under the "pertinent details" section, including a link to valid information. Thanks, it is helpful...now.

Starting a thread without details is like posting "OH F$CK LOOK OUT" and signing off. Not real helpful.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Regal Making Handler
    Wiredboy, the link MissMittens pointed out to you is discussing the Bropia_M worm. If you look at my post, you will see the pertinate details that zencoder refers to in is post above.

Using the info I provided from Trend Micro, it should be easy to remove the worm manualy. Infact I no it is easy as I have had to do it.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

i met someone keep sending me those kind of attachment... that idoit keep poping up sending me those attachment (think might be mass sending).... he/she is not in my list... so i can't block it... anyone have any idea how do i block him? or perhaps, how do i trace him? or even make him feel scare or uncomfortable by sending this again?

as i know, msn not direct connect to each other, through msn server, how if i try to receive his file, can i get his IP from netstat -an? how if i affected if i received the file? issit self-extract? what can i do if i able to get his IP address? as i know, my ISP wont boder even i send complain mail.... sad....

plz guard me to get rid of this virus spreader.... or, at lease protect myself... ^_^ thankz..
    --=|2 be da happy children 0f da Mother Nature, 2 be da Best among da Best!|=--

Any Sufficiently AdvanceD TechnologG is InDistinguishable from MagiC. - Arthur C. Clarke

[qoute]how if i try to receive his file, can i get his IP from netstat -an? how if i affected if i received the file? issit self-extract? what can i do if i able to get his IP address? as i know, my ISP wont boder even i send complain mail.... sad....

plz guard me to get rid of this virus spreader.... or, at lease protect myself... ^_^ thankz..[/qoute]

Don't try to mess with it. As for blocking him, I don't know how because I don't use MSN messenger, but though I don't use AIM, either, I know they have an option under preferences that blocks IM's from anyone not on your list somewhere under preferences. And yes, he/she is mass sending through a "bot" that "someone" created to target all ID's whose preferences are set on accepting IM's from anyone.

So, try to find a preference setting on your messenger and set it so you can only receive IM's from people you know. And if that doesn't work or if there isn't a prefference setting (there has to be one), I would suggest creating a new ID, transfering your TRUSTED contacts on to the new one, and send them all messages letting them know that this is your new ID
    \"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends\"-Ed Norton/25th Hour