Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first build

first build

Having problems getting power to my pc, When push power button the fan lights up and thenm stops and I guess looses power? Well if the ethernet is plugged in it still has a light on it, I have a chaintec p4 motherboard, 3.0 processor,2 512 ddr pc 3200 ram, A custom broadcom case with a lcd screen, If anyone can help please let me know, thanks

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I'd suspect the PSU [Power Supply Unit]
    Do you have a 'spare' one around, another PC you can butcher for test purposes ?

Fan start up on pushing button ................12v for fan is there, but the 'hold in' contact might be broken .............push button in to allow power, and also it should bridge a pair of contacts that will keep power to the PSU.

Keep us informed.

Luck to you.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I guess that fox is right. I had the same problem with my power supply unit (SMPS). Got it replaced and no probs now.
    Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
    -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=777

i tryed a diffrent power supply out of a computer that was running and it didn't do anything at all, the psu in it is 450w, and the one that i tryed is 250w, thanks for the replys

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    The PSU has to be at least similar to the one taken out.
    450W / 250W .....................

PSU's don't all work the same, even though the end result is the same.

The total power available will vary depending on current draw, and you can't just add up the wattage of the three rails to get the output. So, a 250W unit is quite probably NOT going to fire up a system that came with a 450W kickstart

If possible could you get hold of a mates PSU ? again, make sure it is man enough for the job.....
    If, after trying that, and it still gives no power, then you will have to roll up your sleeves, and get ready to strip the PC down a bit more.
    In fact, while the PSU is out, just check that all the pins on the leads AND the Mo/Bo and HDD's, FDD's etc, are aligned [not bent ] when you reseat them, do it slow, and make sure that you bed them in properly.

Remove and clean the RAM, reseat it [carefully] Use any anti-stat kit you have, or keep your [bare] arm touching the case, to maintain equal potential across the system.

Check for, and clear any dust bunnies that might have built up,
    check the fans are free spinning , clean and plugged in .........

post back, luck, Pax.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmmmmmmmmmm,

When push power button the fan lights up and thenm stops
    Which fan are we talking about? the CPU or the case?

I think that my first move would be to try another fan to prove whether it is the fan itself or the power supply.

The fact that your NIC card lights up suggests that power is getting there, so it isn't the I/O switch failing to lock.

If you have, or can borrow a multimeter you can disconnect the PSU from the mobo and peripherals and check each output.

BE CAREFUL! if you power up your machine without the CPU fan running you could do a lot of damage to the CPU/MoBo

My guess at this point is a dodgy fan or PSU but if it is the CPU fan and gets its supply from the MoBo, then the MoBo could be defective.

Good luck

my motherboard was the probleml is and the the motherboards isgreat but when i take bolts out it works and when i tighten it it stops lol, and any help with the phoinez bioz helps

sorry for the spelling, im tore up lol

Talking

I finally got it up and running, I cant find a way to bolt it down, when i do it grounds it out, any suggestions? thanks for all the replys

********** |ceWriterguy
    Sure and simple. Get some kind of insulator - a rubber or cardboard washer to put on the mounting studs - this will insulate the board from the studs and stop the grounding. Another solution is clear fingernail polish (if it's getting to the board through the threads that's the *only* solution - just don't polish all the way over the threads where the lock nuts attach.

Luck to you!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!