Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Newbie Girl With a Question.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I didnt realize until yesterday someone from this forum wrote to me and told me that firewalls should mask my ip address... which hmmmm..didnt know tht..
    It will not mask your IP. Your IP will be visible. It will, however, will block/hide ports on your machine and may block pings but not fully hide it. An important difference.

Winmx is one of my favorite programs that i use to get just songs and the simpsons..

I do have a question regarding file sharing, two computers and one internet connection.

If I use one pc for nothing other than storage and downloading and the other pc for everything else.. and use a router .. is there a risk for contamination from one pc to the other?
    Assuming they are networked in NO way and connected just by the router..
    It may seem silly to you all but I genuinely dont know and its something ive been seriously thinking of doing for ease of downloading and gaming??
    Theorectically, there should be no issue and minimal risk. That said, if one gets infected with a worm and the worm attempts to propogate to other machines on the network, the other machine may get infected. Ideally, you should have virus/firewall on each machine as extra precautions.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Tiger Shark,

Egal: Jeez.... You have to learn that posting a "[ quote]", (remove the space), requires a "/" in the tag close, ie "[ /quote]".... You are doing it all over the board and it is becoming annoying...
    Whatever do you mean ?!

P.S. Thanks !

Yes that is an important difference.!!! That is something i was confused on...
    Now I will read through this site and see what i can learn.
    Im interested to see what these tutorials are!
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    It will not mask your IP. Your IP will be visible. It will, however, will block/hide ports on your machine and may block pings but not fully hide it. An important difference.

Theoretically, there should be no issue and minimal risk. That said, if one gets infected with a worm and the worm attempts to propogate to other machines on the network, the other machine may get infected. Ideally, you should have virus/firewall on each machine as extra precautions.

You have been given great advice and blah blah a million ppl can tell you that but why the sudden urge for security? I understand the whole identity theft thing but all these admins that were on the board have always been able to see your IP address to this point and you didnt realize it or worry about it.

Please dont take any of this the wrong way... I strongly urge you to run proxies, firewalls, and take security precautions to protect your personal information. I think it is really important that you pay attention to it if you do a lot of online gaming, you will run across a lot of ppl who will lose in whatever one-on-one game you may play and then seek vengence to make themselves feel better. While you can install and put in place a million different security levels it is EXTREMELY important that you pay just as close of attention to phishing attempts and to social engineering put forth by you alone and when ppl ask you questions.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Well the identity theft took place on ebay which at this point has happened to thousands of people...it getting out of hand.. since then.. I got a new harddrive and loaded new XP OS on it..and have gotten all thesse spyware tools and registry programs from friends to use.. but when i was granted forum mod rights, as admins normally do... and i saw my ip there, and others not there..it made me curious as to how they did that..which i today found out is through a VNC program, and nothing fancy. On top of that i mentioned the book i am reading , i think identity theft victim or not, you step back and say wow... am i safe.. and so i googled somethings and found this forum to post some questions..
    A learning lesson.