Disadvantages of longer PW (more than 14 characters)
Just to add a note for network users, Sir nihil

The best I have seen on offer are capable of cracking a 14 character password from the "normal" keyboard set, in a matter of minutes. But, if you have a longer password, they are useless.
Windows passwords can be up to 127 characters long. However, if you are using Windows XP on a network that also has computers using Windows 95 or Windows 98, consider using passwords not longer than 14 characters. Windows 95 and Windows 98 support passwords of up to 14 characters. If your password is longer, you may not be able to log on to your network from those computers. – Windows XP Professional – Help and Support Center – Creating strong passwords.

The idea of using other language(s) (than English) is a good option; I am also using some of the w3!rde5t and m!zspell3d words in my own native language. A piece of advice, be sure TO REMEMBER IT! ‘Coz I had one PW for a web page (good thing it’s for experimental use), longer than 14, can’t recall the combination of upper-lower cases anymore, although I know the PW word-by-word (Something like 3gApd3tCeT0rPdRoW$sAp – reverse and wacky version of PASSWORDPROTECTEDPAGE). Useless. L

Just to add, LC™ 5 is the latest version of L0phtCrack™, the award-winning password auditing and recovery application used by thousands of companies worldwide. Check it here.