Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Does no shut down

Lightbulb Computer Does no shut down

This problem amazes me that I cannot fix it. I built a really cheap computer for about 300$. It has a Biostar mvig 400 mb with a built on sempron 2200+. When it shuts down windows unloads, the hdd stops but it just sits there on with blank screen. It is like an old AT mb where it sais it is safe to turn of your pc, but it doesnt even show that. I have messed around with Xp settings, bios settings, I flahed the bios to the newset vesrsion, I have messed with acpi, noTHING!?

Any intelligent ideas?

Hi oofki,

Try here...it's a shutdown troubleshooting page...for XP...

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Eg

I have already actually visited that page and none of those things helped. I think it is a hardware based problem but its the second mother board that does it. Its a really strange problem, thanks though.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I have this self same problem, it only comes now and again, no pattern to it at all.
    I am about to completly strip the system down, rebuild, remove then update drivers one by one, and PRAY .........

You did say in another thread that you repair PC's for a living ?
    So, is it your own PC?
    or a customers ?

If it's yours, then do as I am, strip it, clean, rebuild, the whole 9 yards on it.
    If it's a customers, and it works BAR this, send it out, then charge them again, when they bring it back

Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Yes I am tech I and it is mine. There is nothing to rebuilt man its afresh load of xp with firefox and nav corp and nero. A liteon cdrw and 2 removable drives with nothin in them.

Hi oofki ,

Try going into set-up and disabling all power saving schemes. Then into system manager and do the same.............machine always on is what you want.

Kill any screensavers and wallpaper.

Then update your video and sound drivers if applicable.

Oh!............just check that the lights on the floppy/CD/DVD actually work, that they are not locked on and that there is no media in them.............yes I spent a while finding that out the hard way...........the CD was stiffed and the LED had blown, it thought there was media in the drive

By the way, do you get the same effect if you boot into and shut-down out of safe mode?

Cheers

Re: Computer Does no shut down

Originally posted here by oofki
    This problem amazes me that I cannot fix it. I built a really cheap computer for about 300$. It has a Biostar mvig 400 mb with a built on sempron 2200+. When it shuts down windows unloads, the hdd stops but it just sits there on with blank screen. It is like an old AT mb where it sais it is safe to turn of your pc, but it doesnt even show that. I have messed around with Xp settings, bios settings, I flahed the bios to the newset vesrsion, I have messed with acpi, noTHING!?

Any intelligent ideas?
    A little more information might narrow dow the problem for you.
    1. Does the fans shut down also, or is it just the hard drive.
    2. Have you tried this with a different monitor to see if you are not hanging in a shut down loop?
    3. Are there video cards involved?
    4. Have you checked for any IRQ conflicts, or possible conflicts?
    5. Have you tried booting with a live distro to try to eliminate any kind of windose problem?

Those are just a few off the top of an empty mind, but I'm sure ther are a few more questions that could help you to narrow down the problem a little.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Obviously, some service is refusing to shutdown. You said that you already tried with another motherboard. Is it the same motherboard or something different?

Most of the time when this happens on fresh install there is some driver or hardware conflict.
    I would try to strip comp down to minimal hardware required... play with different VGA cards etc.

If you find solution, please post it here....
    Ikalo
    ------
    Make your knowledge your deadliest weapon.

I take it that you have to kill the system by holding the power button to "bios power off"
    OK win Xp I take it... is it SP2 that we are talking about?

cause if it isn't.. don't bother with anything else untill it is...

and as asked earlier are the fans stoped at this point, if so have you tried another monitor? have the 12/5v supplies dropped.. have you checke dthe status of the supplies on the ATX plug? tried a different PSU.. have had these suckers cause similar probs....

about as intelligent an answer you will get from me this late on a saturday
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Bacially the only thing that stays on in the Psu which means everythin still gets power, when i upgraded my bios I did that using upgrade bios, a bult in program in the setup of my bios and when I said shut down it did! And yes I have xp pro w/sp2. All power shemes are set to always on but thats because I hate power daving crap any ways. And it does the same thing in safe mode. Everything is on board so I cant chnage the vid card or anything. The only card in it is a tv/fm hauppage card. Now taht I mention that I have seen sound cards that make similar things happen, and I am goin to try taking it out right now...Il post if it fixed it. I highly doubt it would be the psu, it is a very cheap case but it has an enlight psu in it, which are very nice.

edit- didnt help