Originally posted here by a morning chill
If this is for a company, then DO NOT use FC3. FC series is purley beta testing, and is purposly filled with experimental drivers/programs/functonality. This is because it is a testing playground for their company based product: RedHat Enterprise. I can't imagine what the built in SELinux patches would do to his php server permissions.
Well, at first I was going to disagree with chill's assessment of Fedora...but it got me thinking, and I did a little reading, and now I'm not so sure if I was wrong.

I wanted to retort with 'Fedora is the open distro sponsored by Red Hat, but not supported or developed actively. It's a stable desktop or server OS if you use the stable versions, etc.' Turns out I may not be right...they say it's a community based initiative, and includes technologies that may make there way into Red Hat products eventually...but I didn't heard enough language or see enough commitment to making it secure, stable, and dependable. Time for Suse, I guess.

Also, I can say that SELinux does indeed break some web application deployments with it's default settings. I tried to follow a HOWTO I found recently on "Snort, Apache, SSL, PHP, MySQL, and Fedora Core". I followed it to the 'T' with Fedora Core 3 with the exception of enabling SELinux, but this doco (older version...a new one now exists) was written for Fedora Core 2. SELinux made communiations between MySQL and PHP/Apache impossible without modifying their labels/groups/schemas etc. Good seed to get me working on learning SELinux, but time is a precious commodity, and it hasn't happened.

So I'd say be very careful on choosing a new linux platform. I tend to recommend Fedora a lot for newbies trying to learn Linux (mostly because, while I'd like to start them on Slackware, I don't want to get the phone calls on "how do I do this?"...you get less of them with Fedora). But for a production server, keep looking and do your homework.