Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Windows Explorer

Problem with Windows Explorer

When I turn on my computer an error message comes up saying "Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." When I click don't send, explorer tries to refresh and then the error message comes up again. The same thing happens when I restart my computer. I tried using system restore to go to an earlier date but even after that the error message still comes back up. I really don't want to have to reformat the drive. Please Help!

Good Day,

You need to provide as much information relative your OS and what you were doing just before. But none-the-less, this error message has been know to appear on XP that have not been patched.

Have you installed the Service Packs for XP? SP1a has solved this problem for other users.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

The OS is Windows XP Professional and its a Compaq computer. I ended the explorer.exe process right before the error started happening but I've done that lots of times without having any problems. A very computer knowledgeable friend suggested that windows explorer may have been accessing the registry at the time and therefore the registry may have been corrupted.

Also, does anybody know what the microsoft tech support number is? I've looked all over the place but haven't been able to find it which seems kind of weird.

Have you tried System Restore?

If Windows XP starts

1. Log on to Windows as Administrator.

2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. System Restore starts.

3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click Restore my computer to an earlier time (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.

4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system checkpoint in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next. A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. Click OK.

5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.

6. Log on to the computer as Administrator. The System Restore Restoration Complete page appears.

7. Click OK.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=k...173&sid=global
    edit: D'oh.. you tried system restore. Glasses must be fogged up.

Old Fart
    Funny....I never see that message when using Firefox/Mozilla....

But seriously, it does sound like a patch problem. You might want to consider patching or, if that doesn't solve the problem, completely reinstalling IE from your Win CD and reinstalling all the patches.

I'd also make sure my machine was clear of viruses and trojans as they too can bring about this error message.

EDIT: Microsoft WinXP Support: (425) 635-3311
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I do use Mozilla Firefox. The problem is with Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer. I've almost run out of ideas. Pretty soon I'll just end up reformatting it but I'd really like to not have to resort to that.

Regal Making Handler
    Have you checked in event viewer. Control pannel>Administerative tools>event viewer??

May get a better handle on the problem if you review the logs.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AOs Resident Troll
    Have you done the basics....
    clean viruses and spyware in safemode???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Have you added any hardware or software lately? This error can also surface if the latest drivers are not installed or in the case of the new software, you may have to reinstall the SP's.

Use the device manufacturer's for the updated drivers.

and another thought from a another site:

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/advisor.asp

Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

http://www.adminlife.com/247referenc.../18/92173.aspx

Old Fart
    pardon my stupidity

perhaps re-extracting explorer.exe fron the installation cd??
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...