Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post a question like this, but since I'm an AO Newb, I thought this is a good place as any.

First off, I'm running Windows 2000 Professional on my laptop with a Linksys 54G wireless CardBus card that is connected to my wireless router. I'm using the WLAN monitor the connect to the router. I have an extra ethernet adapter (old fashioned hardwire) that is not connected but is not disabled. The wireless router is Netgear.

I decided that I should run Ethereal in promiscous mode to see what's going through my router. I noticed that my computer periodically sends out these broadcast messages using protocol BROWSE, with the following info: "Domain/workgroup announcement WORKGROUP, NT Workstation, Domain Enum".

Has anyone seen this before? I ran Ethereal a long time ago for a class project, and I did not see these messages on my computer -- however, I was using XP Pro at the time (maybe only W2K sends these out??).

The other strange thing is that my computer periodically pings the router out of the blue (not initiated by me!). Attached is the ethereal file, if anyone is interested to have a look.

I've never seen this before when I was running a "wired" linksys router, so this is not really freaking me out, but giving me only code "orange". Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

-ik

P.S. Thanks to Ethereal, I was able to see that my computer was trying to connect to some weird IP address (207.something), so I ran ad-aware and found 40-something things. Augh... Time to start up ZoneAlarm? Anyway, my comp hasn't tried connecting there since I cleaned off the spyware.