RIP - Hunter S Thompson
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP - Hunter S Thompson

RIP - Hunter S Thompson

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/book...bit/index.html

(CNN) -- Journalist and author Hunter S. Thompson, who unleashed the concept of "gonzo journalism" in books like "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," fatally shot himself in the head Sunday at his home near Aspen, Colorado, police and his family said.
    Was a fan of his works. Decent political writer, but most famously known for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Kinda sad.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    smart witty, excelent writer... truly an american icon...

can't believe noone would even sign this thread

can't believe noone would even sign this thread
    Suicide is the ultimate vote of no-confidence on one's life and work.
    He was a loser. The world is a better place without him.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Suicide is the ultimate vote of no-confidence on one's life and work.
    Well... Yes... I agree.... Unless, maybe, you just got told you have an incurable disease that will take a year or two to run it's course and in the meantime you will lose all dignity, be in pain constantly and utterly reliant on the good faith and graces of others... Then I would call it logical and smart.....

Is that relevant in this man's life? I have no idea.... But it's a valid response to the quote.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

It does apply in his case Tiger Shark.

However, he shot himself while he was on the phone w/ his wife. While his son was in the house. THAT qualifies him for loser status. If you want to end your life, fine, but don't do it the most traumatic way possible for everyone you love.

Link.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Yeah, but he was mentally unstable. Go read some of his works and then tell me otherwise. Mentally unstable, and a self-afirmed substance abuser, for decades.

Is the world better off without him? Absolutely not. Is he the most courageous, dignified, respectable person, thanks to his choice of actions that ended his life? Same answer. Just cause he was a monumental ******* doesn't mean his views, opinions, or expressions are without merit.

/* EDIT */

Proof that he was unstable!

Hunter S. Thompson To Be Canonized!
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Banned
    In my opinion you have no right to judge person's life as a meaninless, because he killed himself. People have different views on suicide/life/god. Different cultures paractice ritual suicide. I think that for Thompson it was the ultimate stunt that he could think of since he was already sick. The man redefined "having cojones" in his work and life. Because for YOU it's "ultimate vote of no-confidence" doesn't mean that anyone CARES.

And as far as "The world is a better place without him." goes ..... how dare you say that about anyone SHOW SOME ****ING RESPECT

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In my opinion you have no right to judge person's life
    So your opinion is that we can have NO opinion ?

I think that for Thompson it was the ultimate stunt that he could think of since he was already sick.
    Some stunt ..................So what does he do for an ENCORE.

how dare you say that about anyone SHOW SOME ****ING RESPECT
    Why don't YOU ?

he shot himself while he was on the phone w/ his wife. While his son was in the house.
    He didn't show too much respect for anyone there now did he ?

My take :
    He was on his last legs, he decided that it would be better to end it at HIS choice of time and place.
    Still makes him a loser though.
    Not much for the family to remember him by.
    No matter what he wrote.
    Or how he LIVED.

Your choice of death is as personal as it gets.

His choice was to say "up yours" to his [alleged] loved ones.
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Banned
    The guys LSD addled mind was in a deep state of paranoia; it truly was unsurprising news. Especially after he said “Kerry would defeat Bush in a landslide”. Well in his mind the Apocalypse came to pass and it was too much, so he blew his brains out why his child was at the table eating Captain-Crunch or whatever… That movie limns a LSD trip so good it caused a fulminant mood of uneasiness in me.

Kids don't drop Cid! "Be not a fool" ~ Mr T.

********** |ceWriterguy
    My take: Another idiot took the coward's way out. No big loss, he's doing a better job as fertilizer than he ever did in the human race anyway; for examples look at how he treated his family when he offed himself.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!