Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird problem I'm stumped with..

Weird problem I'm stumped with..

Well, here's my problem, my old 145 watt power supply stopped working a few weeks a go after running for 4 years. I recently (2 days a go), installed a new 300 watt power supply, I have 1 CD-ROM drive, 1 CD-RW drive and a 3 1/2 floppy drive on win2k pro. All seem to be working correctly but when I use one of the drives (not including the floppy drive), when I try to access it the Unplug/Eject dialog appears (see Screenshots 1 & 2) saying that the drive I just used has been disconnected/Unplugged. I checked the ribbon cable and it's fine, also checked the power cable and it is also fine...any ideas?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

screenshot 2
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hi Raion,

I think this might explain and solve your problem...it apparently has to do with whether or not the driver can support surprise removals...or something to that effect...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;298504
    How To Avoid Unsafe Removal Dialog Box

Eg

I don't understand what it's trying to say...btw, that problem ONLY happens with my TDK (CD-RW) Drive, not with my CD-ROM drive..

********** |ceWriterguy
    Yah, it's either a driver issue or a weak power supply. Did you replace the old one with one exactly like it or better? Have you tried completely blowing away the TDK drive in device manager and reinstalling?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

It can't be a driver issue because it was working fine before I installed the new PSU. As I said before I replaced a 145 watt power supply with a 300 watt power supply, so that can't possibly be it because if anything it has more power. Although I don't think this might affect it but, I have it at 110 right now (It's those switchable ones), the other switch is to 245 or something I believe, not sure. Could that be the problem?

If you can't solve it, try using another molex connector from the powe supply to your CD-RW,and also try using a new ribbon cable... try that... you probably damaged the ribbon cable when isntalling the new power supply?

Yeah, I was thinking about changing the connector but I wanted to see if there were any other problems that could be wrong. I didn't even touch the ribbon cables though. (no need)

Hey Hey,

Does the device work immediately after a boot? If so then it sounds like it's going into Power Saver mode... It's possible that having the new harddrive has given you that functionality.... I'm not exactly sure what it's dependant on ... but it could make the difference..

I'd check it out... It's under the device properties (Device Manager).

Peace,
    HT

Word of advice, that little 110/240 volt switch is crucial. Depending if 110 or 240 comes into your house (mains). If you live in America it's 110. These range from 110.115.120/240.245 etc.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.