Thread: Cache Problem in Public Computers

Cache Problem in Public Computers

Cache Problem in Public Computers

I've done some AO searching but did not find anything like this (only found the FAQ), but I need more details.

Actually, there seems to be problem with the cache settings. The situation is:

In AO accounts, Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies) – I turned this feature OFF because of one reason. In the café, after I access AO, I sign-out (normally). The next time I access the internet in the café (say, even after I logged out and REFRESHED), seems annoying seeing you are still login and maybe somebody could use the PC and came across AO will do some mess with your account. After turning this feature OFF, I solved the annoying part. Too LAZY to read all the FAQ’s about this, only now I found out my problem.

“When you register, you will be given the option to Automatically login when you return to the site. This will store your username and password in a cookie, stored on your computer. If you are using a shared computer, such as in a library, school, or internet cafe, or if you have reason to not trust any other users that might use your computer, we do not recommend that you enable this feature.”

”AntiOnline also gives you the option to use a cookie to track your current session, ensuring that you remain logged-on while browsing the site. If you choose not to store this information in a cookie, the session data will be sent through each link you click. Choosing not to use a cookie may cause problems if your computer's connection to the Internet uses a proxy-server and you share links with other users behind the same proxy.”

Recently, I was not able to login back to AO for a couple of days because of this issue. After AO Admin reset my account with regards to the cache and helped me login again, the cache thing bothers me.

Both the Internet provider here as well as the café uses PROXY. The café is using SQUID (LINUX) for their cache, a server that centrally controls the Internet caching of the whole café (17 workstations). Again, it really annoys me the fact that when I use the Internet there, it poses a threat to my account, because of one thing, visiting www.antionline.com always automatically logs me in for the reason that the ”Automatically login when you return to the site?” settings is turned ON. No chance of clearing the info in the café (the workstation that I use), even if I logged-out and clear the cache, going back to the AO site auto-logs-in the last account that has been successfully logged-in. Bad thing is, this is the only café near my place. Other cafés are in the City Center (10Km away).

I don’t know if anyone of you guys crossed the same problem using public computers with such setup? I am just concerned about security while able to have convenience in my part. I’ve searched some but could not find any work-around for myself.

Now, I am stuck and limited to using my PC at the office for accessing AO. Very limited.

A suggestion could be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Sometimes I use internet cafe, I use Log out & clear cookies.. and it works pretty nice... I have no problem at all...
    I'm just wondering if you tried to log out and clear cookies?
    It is right beneath Log out...????
    Just wondering
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

even if I logged-out and clear the cache

even if I logged-out and clear the cache
    - well cookies for this instance.

Yes, I've done it.

In my Office PC, it works all the time. But in the cafe, it really isn't helping!

It's the SQUID (LINUX) thing I guessed, it's cache management bothers me, I'll further do a research for this stuff.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif