Thread: Open Source

Open Source

Im posting this here in the Newbie Forum because i think these websites will help in giving you free software that conatains no spyware adwayre or viruses...etc...
    If your a newb to downloading free programs and are unsure if they contain viruses or not... these websites here will help you get the stuff you need without worrying if they contain MALWARE. They have all kinds of great 'open source' software, not just for security but for many other things...

http://www.ramsinks.com/freedom.aspx <<< MY FAVORITE

http://www.cleansoftware.org/

Just Another Geek
    Ehhmmm. "Free Software" isn't always the same as "Open Source".
    The first site mentions a lot of free software that isn't open source.
    It's a nice list though...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

yeah, "open source" just sounded better for the Thread name... or did u mean i said, Free software is open source... i don't think i ever said that..., although "most" open source software is free software, right? and ur right, most free software isn't the same as open source... Since there is a lot of free software but some contain adware, spyware,...etc... and most if not all (never seen one that does) open source software doesn't contain any kind of malware, open source was just a better name since its free and contains no malware... does that sorta clear it up??? free software that contains no malware... hence the reference to "open source" since it contains no malware...

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Open Source and Free Software are two distinct concepts, and are not necessarily interchangeable. Also, just because something is free does not imply or guaruntee it is free of malware.

http://www.fsf.org/

http://www.opensource.org/
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Zencoder, exactly, that is exactly what it means...

HEY,

open source, and free software, is like.........

free speech, and free beer.

More explanations will come if needed.

Last time I checked you didnt have to pay for emails coming with sasser, or sobig, so free does NOT mean malware free Kyrios.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

Most malware is free..

Even better some people pay you for installing / using it
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I guess the point here is, that these websites that i poste, have free software, and free open source software, and all within the websites are free of malware, that is my point... lol

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Do you know all of it is free of malware? I'll be honest, I haven't gone to them and looked at what is offered, not have I done any research at all. I'm simply playing devil's advocate.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore