Thread: Bugtraq - Office 10 applications & flashdrives can be used to browse restricted drive

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Bugtraq - Office 10 applications & flashdrives can be used to browse restricted drive

For those who don't have BUGTRAQ or NTBUGTRAQ subscriptions, here is a bug that I just reported:

Originally this issue was explained and patched here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302753

SYMPTOMS
    After you establish a group policy to restrict access to a drive by selecting the Hide these specified drives in My Computer and Prevent access to drives from My Computer options, you can use a Microsoft Office program to browse and read the contents of the drive.

CAUSE
    This problem occurs when your operating system is Microsoft Windows 2000. The problem occurs because of the way that policies are applied. When you restrict access to a drive by establishing a group policy, restrictions apply to users, but they do not apply to services and programs. Because the browse feature is performed through a program such as Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word, the program is permitted to view the drive. As a result, when you define a group policy and select the Hide these specified drives in My Computer and Prevent access to drives from My Computer options on a specific drive, the drive is read-only with respect to Microsoft Office 2000 programs.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office Service Pack 3 or later.

This bug has been re-introduced in Office 10 (Word 2002, Excel 2002, etc.) SP3

It may also apply to Office 11 but we have not tested it.

ADDITIONAL FINDINGS
    The same condition occurs when you insert a flashdrive and a common dialog box is presented asking you what you'd like to do. If you select open drive you can then browse all of the hidden and restricted drives the same way that you can using MS office.

HOST
    Win XP Pro SP2, all available patches as of 2/23/05
    Windows 2000 Server SP4, all available patches as of 2/23/05, running Active Directory.

VENDOR RESPONSE
    This issue was reported to Microsoft on Feb 11, 2005, acknowledged by support, and as of today our best efforts to get a hotfix (or even a commitment to produce a hotfix at some later date) have been fruitless.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm... I could have sworn I heard of this one prior to this... Now wonder where that was?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Heh. I bet I know.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden