Thread: NetBIOS

Question NetBIOS

I have disabled netBIOS by right clicking on my network setting -> properties ->TCP/IP->properties (yes, again)->advanced->WINS

And I am just wondering if this was indeed a proper action to take for a bit more security.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Did you do this:

1) Remove file and printer sharing from the LAN connection properties?
    2) Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP from the area you mentioned?
    3) Drop to a command line and type netstat -an to see if any of the NetBIOS ports are listening? (139, 445)

--th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Re: NetBIOS

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/9544/15im1.jpg

I uninstall all of them during an install(XP) except for the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then that one gets modified.

That's what my LAC looks like, and you'll notice that my Install... , Uninstall and Properties tabs are not highlighted. A sure sign I'm on a limited account.

Hi

Closing listening ports is a good line of defense. If you have a stand-alone desktop
    with internet connection, I do not really see why not to close all of them (Are there
    drawbacks? I haven't experienced any yet.)

For example, to close Port 445 completely (not tested on SP2), a little registry tweak
    is needed (make a note of what you change or export the key first.)
    Code:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
    set TransportBindName from "\Device\" to a blank value. Reboot.

For additional information, see a tutorial[1].

Cheers.

[1] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=264811
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

I just tried that code on my computer running the SP2 and it seems to have worked, with port 445 no longer showing when running netstat.