Thread: Download problems!

Download problems!

hello people!

A friend of mine has a problem downloading files from a site here is what he wrote in a forum:

Hi,
    Im new here, but I already have a problem.
    When I try to dl any of the "X" files from the site, it downloads the first 500kb, and then quits or resets, even theough the file size is much more.
    Im using Mozzila Firefox, and Download Accelerator on a Win XP machine. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
    Note: I tried using the default Mozilla dl manager with the same results, as well as IE6.
    People simply dont know what else to say, is it a problem with his ISP? XP? because everyone else can download files from that server..

Any sugestions? you guys are experts!

Thanx!

Just Another Geek
    What kind of file is it? Maybe it's his virusscanner/firewall that's killing the connection?

I also don't like to use download managers, I always seem to have trouble downloading if I have one installed.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

EDIT: I tried to dl some files using my other comp, and got the same result. Also, it reaches just over 200kb before it quits, not 500 as I said before.
    I dont have a firewall, and Auto protect is disabled in the AntiVirus.
    *dumb..

So there is nothing I can do about it? It worked untill the site was remade last time.
    U think it might be his ISP?

Just Another Geek
    Does he use a proxy? If so, try to switch that off.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I am not quite looking at the biggest picture.
    SOME websites' applications require Java Virutal Machine {JVM} in order to accomplish the downloading, Specifically for XP users. I used to have LIKE this problem before.
    Win 2000 overcomes this problem.
    I don't know if this makes sense...
    You try out 2000 or install JVM, and then try to download....
    I hope i could be helpful.

Cheers...
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster