Thread: A challenge

A challenge

Well for me atleast,

I want to make an server were people can log in discuss matters of importance, download and upload files and I want to make it safe.
    The real problem i have is i don't know where to start, at first i figured i'd do an ftp server and have all the anouncments and such in the root as text files but quickly realised how unpractical that is.

Id love for it to work like this:

1.you conncet to the computer (probably by ip or dyndns)
    2.it prompts for your username and password (easily controled by me)
    3.sucsessful login brings you to a screen with options for conversation area or files

I'd like the user managment to be powerful enoghf so that if I wante'd i could kick someone out and ban them. Or be able to have ratios and such for up/downloading.

I getting new hardware for my pc sometime next week, so i'll be able to use the old hardware as my server, i have a nat router and other computers on the network, and i'd like to be able to remotely controll the server (so i can hide it waf=0)

What OS do you think i should use i thinkin about some linux but my knowledge with that is somewhat limited, and I have even less experience with unix. But the point with this project is that it's a learning experience, so the fact that i don't know something is not a problem. I want to learn. Is there software that does this or do i have to write some code myself? How hard is it to make safe?

thank you for any and all help
    Life Is Taking The Risk Of Enjoying IT!
    \"Java (ME)\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do some research into the old BBS (Bulletin Board Systems). What you're talking about is similar to that. They would have people call in (either one-to-one or one-to-many), post on a forum, chat in chatrooms (for those with one-to-many options) and a variety of other things including games. It's entirely texted based and usually was for the Windows-platforum.

Doing a search on google for "BBS Software" should pull up some results. The BBS Software Directory may also help. Just so you can get ideas. One that I remember is Sapphire. It was developed by a friend of my uncle's (this guy also developed a game I used to play called Pyroto Mountain -- which was a text-based BBS game)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thank you very much, i'm doing research into bbs all the time, thats very i got the idea from i was just thinking if this is dooable with a litle more security in mind. like thrue ssh or something? but the bbs thing looks sweet i think i'll continue looking into this, power bbs look like something i might be able to use
    Life Is Taking The Risk Of Enjoying IT!
    \"Java (ME)\"