Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cache question?

cache question?

hi there
    i got 2 questions.
    1- what is the difference between l1,l2,l3 cache memories?

2-i got p-4 1.7 ghz can i extend my cache? or simply can cache memory be extended

Lokeshdb_ms
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....

OK..............a very crude and simple explanation.............(If you need more detail, please follow up)

Cache is a memory store where data or instructions that are most likely to be used next are stored...........this makes them happen faster, and improves the performance of the machine ( in theory )

If you have "on chip" cache , this is good, "on core is better"................it happens faster............the smaller the value, the closer to the core it is.

I have an old machine with this fine, erect 256Kb cache memory card.............it runs like a rocket compared to its like devices............It is a PI/133 and will run within 12% of a PII/266.............but I have "developed" it for sentimental reasons..................

Basically, a "cache" is a "store" (of data) that can be readily accessed.

Cheers

I was going to try and explain it because I just took a computer orginization class which covered this in depth...

But, since its explained elsewhere... I'll just link ya.

cache levels
    http://www.pccomputernotes.com/cache/cache02.htm

how cache is used between processor/cache/main memory/harddrive
    http://www.pcmech.com/show/processors/715/2

AFAIK, you can't increase your cache. It is built into the processor.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AFAIK, you can't increase your cache. It is built into the processor.
    Yes phish~ that is how I understand it, I was mentioning this "on board" card that I think you could get a 512Kb for...............mine has a 256Kb.............Pentium I era? This is on the MoBo, not the chip...........modern stuff is certainly chip only

[offtopic]
    Its very interesting to watch and see where processors are going.

They are moving away from clock speeds because the clocks really don't matter any more.
    They are moving too fast for the rest of the system bus (main memory) to catch up...

What we'll start seeing is mulitcore processors.

AMD's 64 bit processor already has the northbridge built on chip.

Take a look at this comparison chart.... pretty fecking slick.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...5E9494,00.html
    I relize that the comparison chart is for AMDs 64 and Intels's 32bit P4 Extreme.

I had another one that showed the the intel 64 vs the amd 64...
    Wish I could find it...

AFIAK, Intel's 64bit processor will not work backwards with 32bit software. AMD's will.
    [/offtopic]
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

What we'll start seeing is mulitcore processors.
    Yeah phish~ but haven't we started to see MS and the like trying to say that they are "multiple processors"...............looks like we are heading for "interesting times"?

I sense some interesting legal battles ahead?

I'm not sure how the OS will "see" the processor.
    Not sure if a "dualcore processor" will show up as two independant processors?

If it is a multicore processor, its two processors, but on one chip.

If its multi processors, the it is more than one processor, each on its own chip.

I've worked with m$2k on couple of multi processor machines.

As far as I could tell... it used each processor equally. Pretty neat actually.

I mostly used it to keep my bedroom extra warm in the winter... the damn thing threw off some heat! Especially with a grid computing client running...

well forks u got of the track.....

ok if cache are in form of chips, is there any extend to wich one could increase it's size.

Nowadays, the cache is built onto the processor chip.
    It used to be on the motherboard.

If you want to increase the processor cache size, then you'll have to buy a processor with a larger cache size.

Just make sure that your motherboard will support the processor that you are upgrading to. If you can't upgrade your processor because the mobo is alrady supporting the maximum processor... you will need to replace both the motherboard and processor.

but what are L3 cache memory