Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh woe's me!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Me thinks this is a scam.
    NO!?! Really?!?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I have to update this little thread. I've been getting a lot of hits on my blog for A~NSISU.exe. I figured if I go back and re-install this "gem", then maybe I could take apart that specific file and have a more detailed description. I go to their website (as listed in my first post) and get a notification that the website is closed for "maintenance". And almost believed it until I found this little link from the FTC

FTC Bars Bogus Anti-Spyware Claims

Free Scans Detected Spyware That Wasn’t There; Software to Remove All Spyware Didn’t

An operation that offered consumers free spyware detection scans that “detected” spyware even if there was not any, to market anti-spyware software that does not work has been barred from making deceptive claims by a U. S. District court at the request of the FTC. The FTC will seek a permanent halt to the marketing scam and redress for consumers.

In papers filed with the court, the FTC alleges that Spyware Assassin and its affiliates used Web sites, e-mail, banner ads, and pop-ups to drive consumers to the Spyware Assassin Web site. After exposing consumers to a litany of the dire consequences of having spyware on their computers, the Web site warns, “you WILL eventually experience credit card and/identity theft and your computer will ultimately crash and cease working for good . . . It’s not a matter of if, but truly a matter of when.”

According to the FTC complaint, the Web site offers to scan consumers’ computers at no cost to determine whether they’re infected with spyware. One “scan”– the remote scan – is performed when consumers land on the Web site. The free “scan” displays a pop-up message that states, “URGENT ERROR ALERT: You have dangerous spyware virus infections on your computer. Click OK to install the latest free update to fix these errors. Immediate action is highly recommended before you continue!” The other “scan”– the “local scan” – is performed when consumers click to download the defendants’ software. Both scans warn consumers that they have spyware installed on their system.

The FTC charges that, “the defendants’ free remote scan is phony, and the defendants’ representations that they have detected spyware on the consumer’s computer are deceptive.” According to the agency, the pop-up that announces that consumers have spyware pops up automatically, even when the computer is clean and does not have spyware installed on it.

During the “local” scan consumers are warned that their computer is infected with spyware and a message flashes on the screen listing the names and file locations of the spyware on the system. Even when the computer is clean of all spyware, the defendants report that spyware has been detected, and the file folders the defendants claim contain the spyware are either empty or contain files that do not contain spyware, according to the agency.

The defendants claim that the software they sell for $29.95 will “remove all spyware programs and files” and will “prevent any future breaches.” According to the FTC, the “anti-spyware” software does not remove all or substantially all spyware, and the defendants deceptive claims violate the FTC Act, which bars deceptive claims.

The agency will seek a permanent ban on the deceptive claims and will ask the court to order consumer redress from defendants MaxTheater, Inc., a Washington corporation and Thomas L. Delanoy, its principal.

The FTC held a workshop in April 2004 titled “Monitoring Software on Your PC: Spyware, Adware, and Other Software.” On March 7, FTC staff issued a report on the proceedings, and, after reviewing more than 750 comments submitted to supplement the workshop record, the FTC staff has concluded that spyware is a real and growing problem that can impair the operation of computers and create substantial privacy and security risks for consumers’ information. Copies of the report can be found at http://www.ftc.gov/os/2005/03/050307spywarerpt.pdf Consumers who want to learn more about spyware, including how to detect it, and how to prevent it, can go to http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...pywarealrt.htm

The Commission vote to authorize staff to file the complaint was 5-0. The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington in Spokane. The court entered a temporary restraining order on March 8, 2005, under seal. The seal was lifted March 10.
    That'd be a win for us.

Note: This was actually posted here on AO but I didn't make the connection to Spy-Control as being the same. Apparently this company had many names for their product.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

- Put's this on my bookmark (NICE GUIDE ABOUT SPYWARE AND CAMPAIGN ON PREVENTING IT!)

ciao!

-GONE
    an\"to*nym (noun) [Greek: a word used in substitution for another]
    A word of opposite meaning ; a counter-term ; used as a correlative of synonym
    - Dr. Gung-ho