Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: hacker with new program got me

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Guardian:

Tiger, I felt like you came off a bit harsh against the rest of us, but to each their own, you know?
    Harsh? Look back through the 15(?) posts prior to mine and tell me they were useful to the OP.

I think we all know it is an attack based most likley on a trojan or similar that reports IP update changes
    Apparently not... What good is, "report him to Yahoo", "Yahoo's phone number is...", "change your IP", and any other of the silly answers to anyone who has a keylogger on their box? The poor girl could sign up with any ISP in the world and would still be "hacked'.

Bad advice, especially coupled with no thought about the potential _actual_ problem, is worse than no advice at all. When you are presented with a problem do _not_ take the "knee jerk" reaction as to it's solution... Sit back, think of the possibilities.... Use your knowledge and experience to determine the "probable", remember the "possible" and file the "unlikely" or "impossible" for future use. If you come up with nothing more than a phone number then you need to revert to the "possible", "unlikely" or "impossible" for your response.....

In this situation the "probable" is a keylogger.... Even if I am wrong, it is the most likely source of the problem with the information provided.....

Asking the women to "do things" means two things: electronic extortion (because of account hijacking) and abuse across multiple victims.
    You are most likely correct... But since the chances of actually catching him without being sat at her machine are more than _remote_, we are much better off advising her about how to remove the ugly little parasite from her life aren't we?

MrT: Read above and hush please..... Yahoo isn't the issue......

Please.... all of you.... go to your rooms..... That's not unfair from what I have seen so far....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger:
    I agree with what you think, but not what you said.
    If your going to insult them, atleast tell them why they are wrong.
    It might not just be they din't take enought time to think, maby they just din't know.

That's my 2 cents..
    \"keep your friends close, your enemys closer, and your administrator closest.\"

Go to www.grc.com click on "shields up" then scroll down and click on "shields up" again. Then push the buttons across the page and test your box using all the scanners.

Tiger hasn't had his bottle yet. It's at the pub. Wonder if port 113 is open? (side comment)
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Regal Making Handler
    how do you report a hacker to the authority
    Tell your mom or dad
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

You are most likely correct... But since the chances of actually catching him without being sat at her machine are more than _remote_, we are much better off advising her about how to remove the ugly little parasite from her life aren't we?
    tho i agree with you tigar about some things there is a couple of things i think your wrong on in this case. If she does wish to follow this up further with the police your instructions about cleaning any malware/keyloggers etc of her box could hinder the investigation - basically you would be removing evidence.

v_Ln

Regal Making Handler
    Their is a hacker in delaware that is finding young women in yahoo messanger and asking them to do things. If they refuse he takes their accounts. This happend to me. He wrote a program that works as a back door on all yahoo accounts so no matter how many new ones you make he will use your ip numer to hey his program alterting him that an new account was used on that computer. He continues to take your acconts aver and over till you give in to his demands. How do i stop him? I have fire walls runing and have run a spy ware and virus scan. But it sais the computer is clean and all he can do is take my accounts he has no control over anything but yahoo.
    How do you know he (as you say) is in Delawre.
    If he is asking young women to do things The police will be interested
    He wrote a program that works as a back door on all yahoo accounts so no matter how many new ones you make he will use your ip numer to hey his program alterting him that an new account was used on that computer
    format c: /s and re-install or bin yahoo will solve this problem.

he has no control over anything but yahoo.
    Not a keylogger then?
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    If your going to insult them, atleast tell them why they are wrong.
    MrT: I did... read the entire thread... See how Copyright ended up at the most probable conclusion which, if you read the OP, was pretty much obvious.... But he took the time to go through it and think it out.... I have no problem with the process he went through... he got there because he thought about it.....

Tiger hasn't had his bottle yet. It's at the pub.
    Err... he was just starting to tipple when the post were written.... I still maintain that this isn't rocket science here... Unfortunately, all this arguing may scare the poor girl off and she may never solve her problem....

Val:

In order to have a successful prosecution, assuming the offender is even in the same country, one would require a forensically secure image of her computer..... What are the chances of that from Detroit, or where ever you are right now?... I'd suggest zero... Let's fix the problem and leave someone else to play police....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

webWeaverSlair... do you want to report this guy to the authorities? or do you just want it to stop and forget about it?
    If you want to report this guy to the authorites and make him pay for it, you should not do anything to your computer, you should leave it as is and let the authorities take a look at it. And hopefully with the information you tell them, they'll have enough to bring this guy down.
    >>>>>>
    But if you just want to forget about it and dont want to deal with him is, either formatting your hard drive and reinstalling your Operatings System (win98) or buying a new hard drive and reinstalling your hard drive. And after you reformat and reinstall your operating system, you should install a firewall and use an Anti-Virus program. A great free one to use is <a href="http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/"> AVG</a>... good luck
    If i was in that situation, i would just re-format the hard drive and reinstall the OS....

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Tiger shark, with all due respect, I mostly agree with you, but copywrite didn't come to the conclusion until after he knew that she was on dialup, which means her IP changes everytime she connects to the internet. I don't know about anyone else here, but once I read that, keylogger popped in my mind, but obviously CW beat me to the post, by a long shot lol...

The point is is that keylogger was always a possibility, but wasn't always a probable one until we knew she was on dialup. Not to mention she did state that she scanned for malware, etc.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

She has enough evidence to report him to the police and for them to do an investigation
    Chat logs Firewall logs they would have enough evidence.

she did state that she has a firewall she runs spyware and virus scan she also said her computer came up clean.

i would suggest to get a trojan remover

http://www.moosoft.com/products/cleaner/download/

just adding my 2cents
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.