Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are DoS or DDos?

Thank you everybody.

Thanks to you all buddies for your responses.

Can you tell me how can I hang my friend's pc whose on our network of 6 pcs.

I can't do it by just pinging.

It generallty isn't a good idea to do that, to even your friend, unless you have permission to specifically test it out their computer.

In certain parts of the world, it's also considered illegal since it is a form of 'cyber-attack'

Ask your friend if you can test on his computer (or test on one of your own) before preforming any sort of DoS on him. If you don't own these computers, say they are school or library property, then don't even think about attempting it in the first place.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

I knew it

Yes, I have the permission to access my friend's computer. I just want to check If I can do that.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    In my experience... I just made a private network and flooded my roommate to test vulnerablilties and such. Its safe that way.. just get behind a HUB/Router and you can do what ever you want without being concerned about the law, as long as you keep it in your network. Cause if you were to DOS your freind who is on Road Runner or COX, you wouldnt be flooding him... you would be flooding his providor. You see... setup a private LAN and knock yourself out...
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

... you can do what ever you want without being concerned about the law, as long as you keep it in your network. Cause if you were to DOS your freind who...
    I have my private network which is not et al connected to internet. I am doing this just for knowledge. By the way nobody has told me clearly how to flood the other computer in my network.

anybody please...

Regards,
    Navdeep

Not sure about some of the DOS tools out there, I guess they do exist, but I've put firewall CPU's under stress by sending lots of ICMP packets with a large buffer size, I was doing it on a course the other week. Then used Cisco Pix Device Manager to watch the CPU on this particular firewall go through the roof.

So you could have a batch file with 'ping 192.168.0.10 -l 65500' and just keep on double clicking it, this will eventually put a test host on a test network under some stress.

James.

...a batch file with 'ping 192.168.0.10 -l 65500' and just keep on double clicking it, this will eventually put a test host on a test network under some stress...
    My dear Goz(James),

Mine network is not a busy one and there are just 5 pcs ( 3 P4-2 Gigs,1 Celeron-1.7 gigs and 1-AMD 2.4 gigs) and hence cannot be simply downed by just pinging. How so ever pinging is done.

Gi'me some other solution please.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://www.cotse.com/dos.htm <-- use at your own risk.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thank you MsMittens for your kind help and especially for that link.

You can also try using stress testing tools to find out how much trafffic your server/machine can handle. This could help you figure out if it is the network or server that is in DOS, (where is the weak link??).

This will answer the question 'At which point does a lot of traffic become a DOS/DDOS? and what fails?"

F1Fan