Thread: can't connect to the internet

can't connect to the internet

Hi peeps. I have a problem connecting to the internet because each time I dial up there is an error message "could'nt establish a connection because the modem was not properly configured. I suspected that the problem is bacuse of two modems present in my device manager, so what I did was, i removed the other one and used the other modem. But when I tried connecting, it still displayed an error message. I would like to know your thought on this guys. thanks in advance

btw I'm using windows xp

Remove both modems from the system and from device Mangler. Then reboot the PC. Shut the PC down, then add the modem back to the PC and boot up. If you have the drivers, install the drivers manually and go back to the device Mangler and see if the modem shows up correctly and check your internet connection then.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

hi fraggin do I need to remove the modem to the boards pci or i'll just remove the driver in the manager? let's say I don't have the driver of the modem. what should I do? Does XP detects and installs the modem automatically?

Some may agree this is going overboard, but..
    1. In device manager, remove the driver for both modems.
    2. Shutdown the PC.
    3. Take the modems out of the PCI slots.
    4. Power on the PC.
    5. Once the PC comes up, open device manager and make sure there are no modem drivers.
    6. Shutdown the PC. Put in one modem in the pci slot (LOL)
    7. Boot up and see if xp installs drivers automatically.
    8. If it works, fine, if not, see if your driver on disk is newer than the one XP provided.
    9. Update the driver.
    10. If it still does not work. Try the same process with the other modem.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Just remove the drivers.
    Windows will find them automatically, if they are in the basic windows load up.
    If you DON't have drivers to re-install, and you cannot access the web to find / save the required drivers, then yo could have problems

Although as you ARE accessing the web to get here, get your modem details, track down the website, and save the latest offerings to a CD.

Or; buy a new modem [assuming 56kbps dial-up ?] they are only a couple of bucks nowadays, and this will have a CD with the required software on it.

[edit]
    posted at same time as Fraggin, just follow his advice, you can never be too cautious
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone