Physical intrusion detection wireless devices?

Thread: Physical intrusion detection wireless devices?

Physical intrusion detection wireless devices?

Honeywell has developed a new physical wireless intrustion detection device that can warn of open doors/windows.

The article claims the device has 'a 10-year battery life and a long transmitting range'. I wonder what it is transmitting and if it is vulnerable to MITM attacks??

To me, this doesn't seem to be very secure...I have attached a link to the article..

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/art...on=446&id=2903

F1fan.

Deleted
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    It's an ordinary basic alarm system - only wireless in stead of hard-wired in windows/doors.
    As for security... all it does is send a signal to the system when the contact is broken... nothing much to hack there - I wonder if one of those signal interrupters would work on it, though...

I never really understood the use of systems like that, anyways... a burglar could smack out your window, and the system doesn't even notice (only works when the window is opened... duh).

LOL, That's right Negative. All this technology and a brick bypasses it all!!

Thinking about it a little more, the device picks up the 'break' when the magnets move apart, then sends a signal via 345 MHz to the receiver... What if the receiver never receives the signal? Unless the detection device is constantly sending a signal to the receiver and any interruption in that signal would be considered an intrusion...

My first instinct was 'why use wireless... it is too insecure' but if properly implemented it could work.

F1fan

From what I saw on the picture there is no contact? But hey maybe I got carried away. There are small range microwave sensors available that are easy to hide. And wireless electromagnetic sensors are nothing new, you can get them at walmart.

Personally I agree, I would never use wireless sensors or window contact sensors unless a wall couln't be breached for some reason. Most of the time these contacts are backed up by motion sensors anyway so why waste the money on them? Except on solid doors . They also make other sensors that stick on the window and measure impacts.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

My first instinct was 'why use wireless..
    Why use wireless in your home, because running wire cost more, might be visable, and takes longer to install. As RoadClosed stated the "new" in this is the size, wireless detectors have been around for awhile

a burglar could smack out your window, and the system doesn't even notice (only works when the window is opened... duh).
    That might work, but there are also motion detectors that you could use also. Security in depth?