FireFox Shortcuts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FireFox Shortcuts

FireFox Shortcuts

These shortcuts will save you a lot of time in not having to type the "http://www" every time. Also, you wont have to type the .com, .net. or .org....

If you want to go to www.antionline.com, all you have to do is type, antionline, then hold down your Ctrl key then hit enter. (CTRL+ENTER)

Now for example if you would like to go to a .net website like www.sourceforge.net, all you have to do is type in sourceforge, then hold down your shift key and press enter. (SHIFT+ENTER)
    IF you want to go to a .org website like www.motherboards.org do the following. In this order, hold down your Ctrl key, then hold down the Shift Key, then with both keys pressed down hit enter.
    (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER)

It might take sometime for you to get used to using them. It didn't take me very long to start using them in the everyday basis. All of these work with fine with Firefox, but only one of these shortcuts actually works with Internet Explorer, and that is the .com shortcut (CTRL+ENTER).

I dont know how useful this was to any of you but I really hope it is. I thought it was worthy of writing about it because I dont know many people who know about this, actually no one. And I found out how to do this all by myself by just messing around.

Wouldn't this fit better in 'Tips and Tricks' other than as a tutorial. I don't think it quite qualifies as a tutorial.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I thought it was worthy of being here, I guess it's up to the moderators to remove it or something... sorry if it wasn't good enough.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Or...if you frequent a site on a semi-regular basis...just bookmark it...that's what I do...and you don't have to worry about typing at all.

sorry if it wasn't good enough.
    I don't think moxnix was trying to be critical...he was just suggesting it may not be considered a tutorial...more like advice.

Well I guess it does belong in the Tips & Tricks section, just didn't put it in here because it was not a Security Tip or Trick.
    Has anyone tried using these great little shorcuts? I wonder how they work, and why they work only for Firefox, does anyone know?

more ............

If you go to 'help' -> for IE users -> keyboard shortcuts in firefox browser you will see a list of all the browser shortcuts for firefox, IE and opera. The ones mentioned included, plus some other interesting ones only available with firefox like the caret browsing (f7) which I still havent' figured out a practical use for yet ...........

Its amazing how crappy you realize IE really is when you start using Firefox. And even how much crappier the HotJava browser is, for those who have experienced it.
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

********** |ceWriterguy
    Let's see - to get to antionline.com I hit 'home'. To get to anything else I value I hit my bookmarks.
    To get anywhere else I type in the google search blank and rock on from there, clicking to my heart's content. I believe this post is lengthier than every url I've typed in the past month combined. Sorry, no tut for you, my method was faster.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Blackice, your method is fine... but to reach websites that you don't have bookmarked, these shortcuts make it much much faster, lets see... what is faster, typing www.cnn.com, or cnn then ctrl+enter???

********** |ceWriterguy
    Having completely missed the point of my post, I'll attempt to put it into plain English for you.

I rarely surf outside my chosen bookmarks. If/when I have a need to do so, I use Google and click links. It's good that there's shortcuts for those of you who actually need them, but to me it's just another 'bell and whistle' I'll never need nor use. You might want to watch the use of that 'assign ap' button in the future against the time when you actually start awarding them. You neither gave nor took anything to/from me, so thanks, again, for nothing.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Blackice, your method is fine... but to reach websites that you don't have bookmarked, these shortcuts make it much much faster, lets see... what is faster, typing www.cnn.com, or cnn then ctrl+enter???
    When 80% of the new sites you visit are .com.au or .TW or .CO or .CN...............this shortcut IS a waste of time....

another We are the ****ing world USof ****ing A idea:

no abuse at the poster of the tip.. there are more users OUTSIDE the USofA and the USof A is not the center of the bloody universe .. inspite of what star trek and big Arnie will have us believe..
    this shortcut is realy only good for type and giggle type surfing..(hehehe lets try www.big****.com this time hehehehe)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr