Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is Encryption

what is Encryption

hi there,
    well i want to know is.
    1. what is encryption and why is it express in form of bit's like xp support 128 bit encryption even if the machine is of 32 bit,

2. when it comes to explain about processors they are clasify as 32,64-bit what does this bit represent is it register's size or what.

Lokeshdb_ms
    smoking is really bad for ur PC....

Hi lakeshdb_ms,

Try this site...it seems to have alot of information and links...

http://world.std.com/~franl/crypto.html

Eg

askjf;akjdf;aksljdf;alksfj;alsdjfweiruewoi utqiewurqpewoiru-230498nv=230498vqweru[qvwneporuin1=23958bn49qtq[pweromiu[q-3409=1n2v-365913n496u1nb39tqu[rvmt3=q
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    askjf;akjdf;aksljdf;alksfj;alsdjfweiruewoi utqiewurqpewoiru- 230498nv=230498vqweru[qvwneporuin1=23958bn49qtq[pw
    eromiu[q-3409=1n2v-365913n496u1nb39tqu[rvmt3=q
    Hey RoadClosed,

Is that the encrypted cipher text for "learn to use Google to find out"?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If you want everyone to google their answers, what's the point of having a forum?

Besides being able to have more personalized, informative answers that suit the per-person better on a forum?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Hi guardian alpha,

to some extent you are right with your statement. However, the first step
    before bothering other people with a question should be to "do a google".
    Often, as it might be in this case, the resulting answers are not satisfying or,
    as so often, uncomprehensible.

A post then might look like "I googled for encryption. The definition of webopedia
    gave me some idea, but I do not understand ... I don't know what is important ..."
    Then we have an idea of what he knows and can adjust the level of our
    response accordingly.

Sorry for being off-topic. On-topic - 3 recent links on AntiOnline:

A starter for some kind of encryption[1].
    An idea of 32bit/64bit processors[2a,2b].

Cheers.

[1] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=266338
    [2a] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=265943
    [2b] http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=265552
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

sec, I would completely agree IF the majority of the posts on AO where people asked for help started with "I googled but couldn't find...". They don't, but are still helped nonetheless.

Even the one a few days ago asking what a DoS and what a DDoS was, received help from multiple members. All without noting "I googled but couldn't find". Some people also come here and ask because they enjoy a warm community discussion of information, versus what some people feel to be cold and inorganic web searches.

RTFM went out back in the days of cliched hacker groups.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Some people also come here and ask because they enjoy a warm community discussion of information, versus what some people feel to be cold and inorganic web searches.

RTFM went out back in the days of cliched hacker groups.
    Why should RTFM be gone today? The ability to do research should still be something needed. Personally, I think it's rather appaulling that people are afraid to do research. It means that you have your own desire to learn rather than depend on what someone spoon-feeds you. That's a very powerful position to be in. It means a lot more in the long run than the time it takes to do the initial research. Take the questions above:

1. what is encryption and why is it express in form of bit's like xp support 128 bit encryption even if the machine is of 32 bit,
    A simple Google search on Encryption will show that it is a methodology at hiding text, often using cryptography (which is defined as crypto -- meaning hidden and graphy -- meaning writing). The Bits do not refer to CPUs but rather to key strength. In the example, IIRC, that should be a symmetric key encryption length (that is, the same key used to encrypt to decrypt) versus longer keys like those with asymmetric encryption (that is, using one key -- public key -- to encrypt while using another key to decrypt -- private key). The algorithm often determines what the key length will be.

2. when it comes to explain about processors they are clasify as 32,64-bit what does this bit represent is it register's size or what.
    Now this one I can honestly say I can't give an answer that would be truly concise since I haven't spent enough time with 64-bit processors. But, my limited understanding is that it should make certain mathematical operations faster. A good quick starting article might be this one.

Now, the first answer I got from doing research many years ago to truly understand encryption/cryptography (starting with The Code Book by Simon Singh, who seems good at giving a nice layman understanding of crypto). Why should the ability to do research and empowering yourself be limited to a few? Why not encourage others to empower themselves to find answers? It means that rather than coming here for definitions they come here for better understanding, clarification and creation of ideas -- which does come from research and learning.

In my experience, I've found that those with limited curiosity (that is, looking for themselves) have a harder time with things like troubleshooting and truly understanding their systems.

Maybe it's just me. I'd rather empower myself through doing research and then asking for help when I don't understand the research or something I found than just asking "what is encryption"? Lastly, there are some good tuts here that if searched could be found:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=240923
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=265636
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why should RTFM be gone today? The ability to do research should still be something needed. Personally, I think it's rather appaulling that people are afraid to do research. It means that you have your own desire to learn rather than depend on what someone spoon-feeds you. That's a very powerful position to be in. It means a lot more in the long run than the time it takes to do the initial research
    I'm all for research. I'm all for self discovery. But I'm not for the old 1980 days when people TOLD you to RTFM. You can't assume they want or even are being spood fed, and if you feel that way then the majority of this forum is pointless. If people want answers, why not answer them? Provide links to examples, tutorials, and the like. SHOW them how to be a good researcher by showing them solid information, and how you got it. But don't 'RTFM newb!', because that not only pushes a lot of people away who are passive-agressive, but denys people who hate using google as a researching tool and prefer to research in a methodoly of collecting multiple opinions from a single source, ie. the forum posting.

Wait, multiple opinions from a single source. That sounds like google, in the first place.

Thank you for answering their question and showing them how you got there. Information needs to be taught and explained, not withheld and hoping you can 'teach' them something by pushing the into a research methodology that they may not be ready for yet, in their security timeline.
    - Charles Darwin

Hi guardian alpha,

I think it's more or less a question of perception...if someone repeatedly posts questions that can normally be googled it may begin to look like he expects others to do all the work for him then...this is the type of response he would get.

Granted mistakes can be made and I'm not suggesting any were made here...but I find that mistakes are usually rectified on this site...so even though they do occur...there is a measure of checks and balances.

As I said...it's more or less a matter of perception...if lokeshdb_ms has made a number of these posts it may appear that he is not trying to contribute to his own understanding.