Thread: Cybercafe games and licenses

Cybercafe games and licenses

I live in a small/medium sized town in Norway and I'm (like many others I guess) seriously considering an cybercafe/netcafe/etc. There are no competition whatsoever, and lots of potentional customers (cs-kids generally), so I actually believe it can go around.

Obvious target: gamers.
    Reason for them to visit my place: no other places to go if they want to get that "lan-feeling".
    Setup: 1 server (web, mail, management), 15 clients (as a start).

But anyway. Not beeing a gamer myself I have no idea how these game-licenses work. I know you can get a single-license by going to a store and getting a copy of the game, but how am I supposed to do it if I want these games installed on 15 computers?
    Anarchy Online
    Battlefield 1942
    Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat
    Battlefield 1942 - Eve of Destruction
    Battlefield 1942 - Silent Heroes
    Battlefield - Vietnam
    Command & Conqueror - Generals
    Command & Conqueror - Generals Zero Hour
    Civilization III
    Deus Ex 2
    Everquest
    Farcry
    GTA III
    Gunbound
    Half-Life
    Half-Life - Counterstrike
    Half-Life - Day og defeat
    Half-Life - Richochet
    Half-Life - Natural Selection
    Half-Life - Steam
    Heroes of Might & Magic IV
    Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic
    Lord of the Rings - Return of the King
    Max Payne 2
    Master of Orion 3
    Neverwinter Nights
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    Quake 3 Arena
    Simpsons Hit`n Run
    Star Wars Jedi Knight 2
    Starcraft - Broodwars
    The Sims
    Unreal 2 XMP
    Unreal Tournament
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Warcraft 3 - Frozen Throne
    Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory
    Worms 3D
    Worms World Party
    (stole the list from some other cafe's site)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I believe that there is an instruction on the CD covers for this ..........

Or, go to the developers website, at the very least they will have a 'contact us' button, where you can ask.
    At best, it will be laid out in full view, as you enter..........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I remember talking with Cybr1d about this a long time ago. He used to own a cybercafe. As far as I remember you need a special license to play Counterstrike in a Cybercafe. You may want to PM him.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Re: Cybercafe games and licenses

I know you can get a single-license by going to a store and getting a copy of the game, but how am I supposed to do it if I want these games installed on 15 computers?
    Talking about LICENSES, you SHOULD have one license of EACH game for EACH game computer. Usually, game licenses are per seat basis; that means one for each computer.

About buying, you should go to the distributor/reseller near your place and ask for discount or other special offers for large aquisision (althouh i think that 15 is a small one). Some companies use to have specific rules on each countries -- just to adhere the local regulamentation. For example, In your country you may have the possibility of acquire 1 box and 14 "paper licenses" for your lanhouse. This will low your costs. But you should go to a reseller to ask about "special acquisitions" available at your country/town.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Everquest? This is a game that you pay per month. I don't recommend it for a cybercafe.

And another one, you don't need all those games on very PC. Be selective.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod
    I remember talking with Cybr1d about this a long time ago. He used to own a cybercafe. As far as I remember you need a special license to play Counterstrike in a Cybercafe. You may want to PM him.
    Gotcha, I just mailed cafe at valve.com and got the instructions needed for their software, easy one there.

Originally posted here by cacosapo
    Talking about LICENSES, you SHOULD have one license of EACH game for EACH game computer. Usually, game licenses are per seat basis; that means one for each computer.

About buying, you should go to the distributor/reseller near your place and ask for discount or other special offers for large aquisision (althouh i think that 15 is a small one). Some companies use to have specific rules on each countries -- just to adhere the local regulamentation. For example, In your country you may have the possibility of acquire 1 box and 14 "paper licenses" for your lanhouse. This will low your costs. But you should go to a reseller to ask about "special acquisitions" available at your country/town.
    Yup it's extremely important to have the paperwork right. Seems like they (atleast valve) sell "cafe-licences" (or whatever), which are one-owner/multi-user licenses. But yeah I'm always making sure to specify the exact numbers of licences wanted.

Originally posted here by SDK
    Everquest? This is a game that you pay per month. I don't recommend it for a cybercafe.

And another one, you don't need all those games on very PC. Be selective.
    "Everquest", "Anarchy Online" and "World of Warcraft" are games which cost per disc and per month. As a cafe I'd only pay for the discs (or an "install licence", if you want), and the users would have to log on/pay using their own accounts. AO and WoW are games which a large scale of the "gamers" around here trow away their time with, can't dissapoint them.

And no I know it's not really needed, but since the plan involves such a small amount of computers I guess the games I'd end up with would be installed on each system (set up one, ghost + getting serials off the server).