Thread: help?

help?

Hello? this the spyware thread? need to know if this program is anygood?

HistoryKill

unknownuser it depends on what you want the program to do more information would be nice. As for history kills I havent used this but a friend likes it but they still use adaware and spybot.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

ok
    www.winpatrol.com
    this is the best antispyware program i ve ever seen .
    and i don think that histroy kill is a antispyware program
    ALL AutoComplete history

ALL index.dat files (Exclusive to HistoryKill)

ALL your histories securely by "wiping" the data unrecoverable.

ALL Browser detailed history files

ALL Cookie files

ALL Temporary internet files

ALL Address drop-list box data

ALL RECYCLE BIN files automatically at Windows start up

ALL Windows Media Player's Recent Files/URL address list

ALL TEMP folder files

ALL Windows Fragmented Files

ALL Windows Recent Documented list automatically at Windows start up

ALL Windows Start, Run menu list at Windows start up

The Auto-Kill feature automatically clears any of the the above privacy problems.

Supports the most current web browsers and Windows

Stealth mode hides HistoryKill from anyone seeing you run it by hiding it in memory.

BOSS KEY feature allows you to hide all Web Browser windows at the press of a key.

Selectable cookies to keep allows you to keep the cookies that are convenient to you.

Deletes MS Office Recent file/document lists.

Securely delete your web tracks by overwriting the data 21 times defeating recovery software.
    and more over
    I have the same experience as the "call me fool no more" reviewer. Due to problem I had to reinstall HistoryKill. When trying to do this I got the message that license was not valid anymore and that I had to pay U$.... for a new license. I have a nasty habit and that is that I always keep documents of what I buy. I found a copy of an offer from the company’s website. It says: "Special offer!!!!Order now and receive FREE LIFETIME updates and support to History Kill". This is what I bought. English is not my mother tongue, but this means one thing: a one time fee for the product. I have send several emails to the company, these were not answered. At last they send me an one liner email: "your license is only valid for one year if you would like to re-license the software you may". Not in a thousand years "gentlemen". APPALLING. Does the program work? This is what I have discovered recently (I have used a fully functional trial version). Try the following. Make a document, give it a name (remember the name) and archive it. Then delete this document. Now, check every option in the HK program (among these will be "windows recent document list" and "windows recycle bin") and use the "Kill now" function. If you have a utility program with an undelete function use this undelete function to bring back the document. Guess what you find. So what HK removes is untraceable hey…………………... HistoryKill sucks and it sucks big time.
    http://www.download.com/HistoryKill/...-10220093.html

so i dun think its quite worth it...

********** |ceWriterguy
    Historykill has nothing to do with spyware - it removes any and all 'tracks' of what you've been doing in your system when you run it.

I strongly recommend Spybot Search and Destroy, and Adaware SE Personal. Below are links to where you can get both:

For Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

For Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

I also suggest you get a tool called HiJackThis - but don't do any 'fixes' with it until after you've posted the logs here and someone knowledgeable has advised you - you can really screw up your box if you don't know exactly what you're doing with it!. You can get HJT here:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Once again and I can't stress enough, DO NOT FIX ANYTHING ON YOUR OWN WITH HJT!!!
    Use it as a 'last resort' tool when you can't nail down what's wrong using the other 2 softwares I suggested.

Hope that helped.

[edit] fixed broken link to merijn.[/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I'd have some reservation about HistoryKill. At first glance it looks interesting but when installing it (and I did it for the purpose of experimentation) I noticed that I couldn't stop the install. When the installer came to the EULA, there was no option to cancel and, in fact, it defaulted to "Yes, I agree" with a dimmed out "Cancel" button. When I chose "No, I don't agree" all the buttons were dimmed out so once you begin the install you have no choice but to continue through. I wouldn't be so sure about this program and it's effectiveness at protecting your privacy.

There are far better tools that do that.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

There are certainly far better tools...searching the forums here will identify many of these...and though I'm certainly not against trying new stuff, I think caution would be wise.. I found this site the other day http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm have a quick read, some very good info on there...

My personal anti-spyware recommendation has been around many years, and is absolutely 100% guaranteed to work.

What is the name of this amazing program, you ask?

Fdisk.

I like MS' (formerly giants) adware software. its free, and effective. bu adaware, and spybot still hold their place in my heart (and my thumb drive)
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    Wow Timmy77! I'm seriously impressed with your industriousness. The average survival time online without attack is 19 minutes - so this means to effectively stop spyware with fdisk, you're doing a complete reformat and reinstall after every 19 minutes online. All that and you found time to post a whole 58 times since december 2003 - seriously impressive. Get a clue - quit being a smartass to someone who asked an honest question.

source: http://isc.sans.org//index.php?on=survivaltime
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!