Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about hacking

Question Question about hacking

Ok heres my question. I'm trying to figure out an IP address of another computer by opening a direct connection in AIM and using TCPview to show me the established connection.
    When I'm connected I'm told I'm connected to (ex) arsvip-m01.blue.aol.com:5190
    what exactly does that mean? and is it possible to break that down to a (ex) 123.433.123.1 like number?
    Basically what I'm trying to do is hack my own computer and check for vulnerabilities.
    I've created 2 AIM accounts and tried the direct connection and netstat method because I read about it in another forum and got TCPveiw to avoid having to use netstat.
    I'd prefer not to use AIM to do this but I figured the sound of a direct connection seems pretty to the point.

Is their any other way to get my computers IP from another computer?
    (assuming I know nothing about the computer who's IP I'm trying to get)
    If so how would I do that?

Is their any way to hack into my computer using the arsvip-m01.blue.aol.com:5190 TCP information?

Whats the most logical way to hack my computer?

and this my be a stupid question but is it illegal to hack my own computer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ,
    DOOBERT

********** |ceWriterguy
    1. It's a hostmask showing you're connected to an AOL server through port 5190.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. Not in it's current form, but with some breaking down of the information it reveals and a little digging, yes very much so.

5. The way you know best is the most logical way to use. I'm not going to teach you hacking, even on your own. This is why I've intentionally left out any useful information in this post.

6. No, if you're the owner of the box, it's not illegal to hack it - IF the hack doesn't 'hop' through someone else's property - ie: that aol server you just mentioned. Read up on 'wargames' and how to hack yourself within your own network. Don't try it through someone else's network, that IS illegal.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Thanks for the reply ICE.

Could you reccomend where I could look to "break it down"?

That is basically the only thing holding me back at this point.

And I love how you broke down my questions hahahahaha that rocked.

Thanks again,
    - DOOBERT

Perhaps you missed this part.

IF the hack doesn't 'hop' through someone else's property - ie: that aol server you just mentioned.
    Hopefully even when you do find that out, common sense will keep you away from that AOL server.
    You do realize that is what that is right?
    HTH

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by DOOBERT
    Thanks for the reply ICE.

Could you reccomend where I could look to "break it down"?
    Open up a command prompt on your computer (On XP, Start -> Run -> type "cmd" -> OK. On older systems type "command".) You can use either of two commands:
    ping - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...n-us/ping.mspx
    OR
    nslookup - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d.../nslookup.mspx

I would highly recommend you read a basic tutorial on TCP/IP and IP addresses. At least for the terminology, if nothing else. http://www.google.com/search?q=basic...en-US:official (Google is your friend.)

Regards,
    Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Thanks for the replies everyone you guys rock.
    But I'm still not to clear on this.
    It's not illegal to hack my own computer but if I go through AOL's AIM to do it, it is?
    Can someone explain why?
    And that goes for all outside networks right?

And is it illegal to ping someone? and if so why? and if not why not?
    Wouldn't that give you the IP of the (in this case) hostmask you are pinging?

Thanks again,
    - DOOBERT

Pinging is a universal network tool, as it's origonal function (which still applies today) is to see if a host is responding or not. Great for network testing to see which computers are up and which are not. Pinging, unless done in massive amounts to form a Denial of Service, is not illegal by any means. I can't think of a single instance or tool in which it would be illegal to discover an IP address. The discover and translation of hostnames to IP addresses is something that is required for the internet to function in the first place, and is an important part of the TCP/IP protocol. Meaning, it's MEANT for you to know what the IP is to each of those hostnames.

However, hacking -through- AIM can prove illegal. Even if you are trying to attack your own machine, your exploit still has to go through the AIM servers. Let's say you direct connect and send the exploit through the AIM client that way. You won't be passing through their servers AFAIK, but you are still using their software as a means to exploit. Granted, that shouldn't be illegal since it never crosses into their servers, but it's certainly a grey area since you are using their own software.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

DOOBERT

"Legality" is a strange thing that varies from country to country and even state to state. I try to get across the point that obeying (or not) the letter of the law has nothing to do with the spirit of the law.

Stay out of trouble. If you start using other people's assets you stand the risk of being misinterpreted/misunderstood, as your activities might be identical to those of a "bad guy"

The "big boys" don't mess around...........they just shoot on sight

Start with a null modem cable (now that DOES give away my age), then work up to your own private network etc. That way you do nothing illegal, but more importantly, you do not draw attention to yourself.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not telling you how to run your life, I just don't like seeing people get into trouble if they don't deserve it.

Cheers

Thank you for the reply alpha.
    Now on to my next series of questions.

Is their a program I can download or write to see if my online activity is being traced like that of the Trap and trace method?

Basically I want to be able to see if someone is tracking me and if so be told how much time I'd have left before my position is locked on. Or does that only exsist in the movies?

Also what is the name of the method hackers use to route their hacks from place to place or country to country? Is it just routing? Or is their a specific name for that type of method.
    And how does one go about doing that?

I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression about me and think that I'm trying to do some major hacking over here and trying to take over the world. This is all just for personal knowledge because not only do I think hacking is cool as all hell but I'm writting a screenplay for a hacker type movie and when I film it I want to be showing real methods so people like you that watch it aren't like wow that was a perfectly good waste of time, money and film.

Once again, all you guys rock for helping out and I wont forget you in the special thanks credits.

-DOOBERT

I'm writting a screenplay for a hacker type movie and when I film it I want to be showing real methods so people like you that watch it aren't like wow that was a perfectly good waste of time, money and film.
    I am sorry to have to say this old chap, but there is a thing called "poetic licence"......like you shrink a three week task into three minutes? This is used in the film industry a lot

I strongly recommend that you look at "Rainbow Tables" if your script involves any password cracking?

Also do not forget collective computing..............SETI, Folding At Home and so on? You might tie that in with a lot of worms/backdoors creating a Worldwide web of computing power? The "bots" (possessed machines) will then respond to the "botmaster" and create the ultimate "Rainbow Tables"?

Obviously, there are people here who are far more qualified to help you in giving your script realism......my advice is that you do not really have the time to do it yourself..............just get the technical support.......and pay the guys if they do help? hey 50 bucks can buy a couple of course books or feed you for a week a college?

just a few thoughts?