Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about hacking

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is their a program I can download or write to see if my online activity is being traced like that of the Trap and trace method?
    AFAIK, there is no single program that does this kind of detection. As nihil has said, poetic license. I believe that traditionally this kind of tracking is done via the old fashioned detective method: look for tracks (IPs, postings, emails, etc.) and follow those. People always leave a trail; the question remains as to how deep and how vast the resources (ie., time, people, computers, networks, $$$$) someone has to track another. So in reality you'd have to find ways to hide that trail. I suppose if you knew who was tracking you, you could use a keylogger or some other spy-type tool to see what activities they are doing (sort of watching the watcher).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Also do not forget collective computing..............SETI, Folding At Home and so on? You might tie that in with a lot of worms/backdoors creating a Worldwide web of computing power? The "bots" (possessed machines) will then respond to the "botmaster" and create the ultimate "Rainbow Tables"?
    wasn't Kazzaa suposed to be able to do this sort of stuf as well... and there was a worm that tapped that at one time.. unfortunatly iit replicated, but the payoad failed..

how to tell that your being traced.. hmm .. now that is where Bots come in
    pity TS isnt here.. he knows about this side of the show..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Lightbulb

DOOBERT-
    As for your question using AOL's servers...in that hostmask you've got, you can see ".aol.com". That means that in order to connect to that IP address, you must go through the AOL servers first.

In order to hack that computer legally, you must have a network in your own home. This is so because you connect to your router/hub, and then straight to that other computer...no internet connection is needed or used.

EVERYONE ELSE-
    are there any kinds of tutorials out there that would help in using C++ to do distributed computing...or is that a concept type thing you just kinda figure out and tailor to your needs?

A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    are there any kinds of tutorials out there that would help in using C++ to do distributed computing...or is that a concept type thing you just kinda figure out and tailor to your needs?
    I haven't seen any but then again, haven't looked for any. Perhaps looking at the source code for some of the distributed projects might give you insight?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi AT,

You might find it here...

http://www.google.ca/search?client=f...=Google+Search
    Google Search: C++ to do distributed computing

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, now we're bordering on the insane, so it's time for a bit of |ce philosophizing:

Doobert:

You don't need to pm me with your responses, most especially if you've already posted them here. I *can* read, consider myself quite literate, and check threads frequently, most especially the ones I've posted in.

Now for your questions

1. Yes. It's called a Firewall. Go google it.

2. No. That's Hollywood hype, and although it'd be cool if we could use our VR gloves to highlight graphic representations of people attacking our system and 'kill' them, that's kinda Hollywoodesque too. The REAL guys use things like ethereal, plus their firewall and associated logs and stuff to catch the various ScriptKiddies trying to break in...which leads us back to question 1 where you asked about downloading - That's what wannabee's (aka ScriptKiddies) do - they download a 'hacking tool, rootkit, etc' and try to run it against everyone - then they call themselves 'Uber leet hackers', when in reality they're completely unknowing of the tricks and tools of the trade. Real Hackers write their own stuff... Look up these definitions: Script Kiddie, Hacker, Cracker, Phreak.

3. Back in the days when you had to hack your local phone company to get free long distance so you could 'hop around the world' it was called 'hopping'. Nowadays, it's still called hopping, but it's used to protect anonymity - It involves using a string of 'zombies' - computers you already have access to - to handle your hack. Let's say I owned a college in southern california, a major university in bangladesh, a business in rochester, and some idiot's personal box down in south america somewhere.... I could use each one of those to do my 'hack' for me - either by controlling them directly and 'hopping' through them (using them as proxies to hide my real IP), or lining them all up as my 'army of zombies' and hitting the target without me ever being present at the targetted end. It's all a matter of programming. Oh, a sidenote - it used to be that Universities were the most commonly hacked setups - this is for 2 reasons: 1. they weren't secure at all, and 2. they had very high bandwidth (on the order of T1 or shared T1's.) As for your asking how one goes about doing that? That's up to you to find out, we're not going to teach you.

I don't want you guys to get the wrong impression about me and think that I'm trying to do some major hacking over here and trying to take over the world. This is all just for personal knowledge because not only do I think hacking is cool as all hell but I'm writting a screenplay for a hacker type movie and when I film it I want to be showing real methods so people like you that watch it aren't like wow that was a perfectly good waste of time, money and film.
    Wow. Hacking is cool, when you use the purest definition. Remember there's a HUGE difference between a true Hacker, a cracker, a phreak, and a scriptkiddie. I don't necessarily subscribe to the 'black hat, white hat, grey hat' philosophy of things in that everyone has a bit of all 3 in them, but most of us here are of the 'white hat' variety, or like the world to think so at least. It'd be pretty cool to see a technically accurate hacking movie out there amidst the fluff, but it'd be tough to do - most serious hacks take months and even years to setup, including a lot of social engineering, dumpster diving, smaller hacks, etc. You'll probably find as most screenwriters do that if you were to portray it 'technically accurate' you'd be so wound up in the petty details you'd lose sight of your plot. I offer 2 hints to your research:

Google is your friend, and
    Next time tell us you're a writer first. Folks tend to get paranoid with the loose usage of the 'h' word around these parts.

[edit] AT - yah, they're out there. The big problem is that when you can finally see them up on the internet, odds are they're way out of date. The Real guys (as opposed to the skiddies) keep their good stuff to themselves - posting it up only after it becomes useless to them. [/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I'm writting a screenplay for a hacker type movie and when I film it I want to be showing real methods
    Will this include the social engineering that has been taking place thus far?

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

-Relyt
    Will this include the social engineering that has been taking place thus far?
    Judging by how usefull this forum has been on my quest for knowledge I would say most definitely.

-Nihil
    Obviously, there are people here who are far more qualified to help you in giving your script realism......my advice is that you do not really have the time to do it yourself..............just get the technical support.......and pay the guys if they do help?
    My question on that is what business would you recommend I contact for something like that?
    (I basically live in the Silicon Valley of the east so I've got everything from AOL headquaters to ORACLE and Cisco systems for resources.)

I read an article on Kevin Mitnik is it still possible to hack the phone companies switchboards and such. If yes what part of the phone companies system would be of use to a hacker?

Thanks again you guys I never expected so much help.

Keep on rockin'
    -DOOBERT

********** |ceWriterguy
    Now, anyone of any age can write a script - I gave you the benefit of the doubt, but still didn't show you any tricks. I'm curious, however, as to the sell-ability, background, and education levels of a writer who is a mere 22 years old. I'm quite sure this is the 'social engineering' aspect of which our friend Relyt is speaking. (btw, his profile showed his b-day in 1983 for anyone who bothered checking.)

A couple of things about your last post kind of tweaked me though and made me seriously wonder about you and your intent. AoL isn't based in silicon valley, they're based out of Virginia. It IS quite possible they have an office there in the valley, but somehow I doubt it - all their major work comes from VA, with servers maintained in small computer shops around the country, and their helpdesk outsourced. Ooops.

As to the answer to your last question, No one could 'hack' a phone system... they would phreak it. Look up those definitions I gave you. You won't be getting any more info from me until then. Oh, and you might add 'Captain Crunch' to the list since you're interested in phreaking now.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

he said he lives in the silicon valey of the east.

but i always thought cisco was located in the west... strange.

aside from that, no one will pay to watch a movie about a guy sitting at a computer at a command prompt. its boring to watch for about 99 percent of people. thats why hollywood makes the lame fake movies.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com