Virtual Memory

Thread: Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory

Hi all

I have a p3 system with win98se and xp in dual boot.

today xp gave an error for low virtual memory after i restarted the computer after the installation of oracle 91 in xp.

I adjusted the settings and they can also be manually adjusted.

I have 184 mb of ram and want to know what is the most approprite setting to do manually.

thanx
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

thats oracle 9i. sorry for the mistake.

cheers
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Mystery Man

In my opinion, your 184Mb Ram is not enough for a good WinXP experience...............also is it 184 or 384?.................if it is 184, that suggests that you have onboard graphics and are sharing memory?

However, you mention "virtual memory" which is obviously the WinXP page file (on your hard drive). If you are letting Windows select this, it will be factored by your RAM size, which is a little small IMHO. My personal view is that XP would like 384Mb, and 512 if possible (I only build them with 1Gb or better)

Try manually setting virtual memory to 512Mb if you have the disk space.

Please boot into "safe mode" and defragment your hard drive before you change your settings.

Please let me know if that helps or not.

Cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    Oracle ate a LOT of memory! Running Windows XP and Oracle 9i on 184 Mg of Virtual Memory is running after problemS! I suggest at least 1024 MG of Virtual Memory if you want to run this program combo.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

********** |ceWriterguy
    Increase the following: your physical ram, and the pagefile size allocation to windows.

Then run: disk cleanup, defrag, scandisk to free up disk space (sounds like your hdd's pretty full if winblows is having issues finding a spot to write it's virtual memory stuff).

And one final question: Wtf are you doing running a technology that's 7 years behind the curve? It might be time to consider purchasing a new(er) computer or upgrading the one you have, eh?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!