Network Discovery Tools
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Discovery Tools

Network Discovery Tools

Hi, is there any network discovery tools available? open source ones.
    and how do we know the ipaddress of a switch?
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Hey,

If your looking for tools to scan a network you could try to search this forum first .... there's alot of info about tools alone to find here , for example here --> Tools

Also to find a ip-address of a switch ... I think you should give us some more details about that ... what's the purpose of finding this IP-address ...what are you planning to do if you find this IP-address...

Anyway I think if you search trough the tutorials on this website I think you could find a lot of interesting info you could use. You can find tutorials about networking here .

For all other info I judgest this site

This is not to be a jerk or anything but these questions you ask have been asked many times so I judgest you search a bit and ask a question if you realy can't find anything and maybe give some more details regarding your question/problem.

Kind regards,

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

hmm if u wanna know more about networks.. go to the site i use to go to a lot when i did my network researches.

www.firewall.cx

Cheops-ng is a Network management tool for mapping and monitoring your network. It has host/network discovery functionality as well as OS detection of hosts. Cheops-ng has the ability to probe hosts to see what services they are running. On some services, cheops-ng is actually able to see what program is running for a service and the version number of that program. Take a look at the screenshots page for a detailed look at some of the features of cheops-ng.
    http://cheops-ng.sourceforge.net/
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Hey,

If your looking for tools to scan a network you could try to search this forum first .... there's alot of info about tools alone to find here , for example here --> Tools

Also to find a ip-address of a switch ... I think you should give us some more details about that ... what's the purpose of finding this IP-address ...what are you planning to do if you find this IP-address...

Anyway I think if you search trough the tutorials on this website I think you could find a lot of interesting info you could use. You can find tutorials about networking here .

For all other info I judgest this site

This is not to be a jerk or anything but these questions you ask have been asked many times so I judgest you search a bit and ask a question if you realy can't find anything and maybe give some more details regarding your question/problem.

Kind regards,

C.
    what i wanna have is a tools to discover the network rather then tracing traffic and cables.. scenerios like when a vendor like us goes into a company to maintenance their IS... we have to have some ways to familiarise our with the network and system setup. so i was thinking is there any tools available online and i do not wanna pay..
    BlAcKiE
    GearBlitz

Banned
    If you are a vendor, have some resources and don't want to waste a lot of time, you should seriously consider some of the FLUKE tools available. the advantage is that you can capture the information you need in a relatively short amount of time.

The free stuff can be good, also, but it can take a bit more time and effort to get what you are looking for. If it is billable time, the professional tools are worth having.

The fluke nettools are amazing little devices, but they are also really really expensive. You are probably better off with a software solution.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

what i wanna have is a tools to discover the network rather then tracing traffic and cables.. scenerios like when a vendor like us goes into a company to maintenance their IS... we have to have some ways to familiarise our with the network and system setup. so i was thinking is there any tools available online and i do not wanna pay..
    If you're looking for a nice tool that would map a network and visualizes it on screen in a fashion easy to follow and it has to be free you'll have to search pretty well to find something good ...It might be out there and probably is for all I know...

But still , I think what your looking for (if I'm not mistaking) is something like LANsurveyor .

LANsurveyor generates network maps using several different methods (including ICMP/ping, NetBIOS, SNMP, and SIP) and generates Visio-formatted files.
    I believe there's even a trial available so you can give it a go and deside if it's what your looking for.

If it is something like this your looking for you might have a hard time finding something remotely good and freeware ... maybe in the Linux environment ... anybody knows this software exists for Linux ?? Or you might try google again .

Gr33tz,

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The closest tool I've seen is Cheops-NG. Just wish it would still be maintained.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

While I think a manual map is the best practice when you are in a new env, I have used
    Networkview in the past for quick info running a Windows client...
    networkview

It's not free but has a few useful features.

Also not free but a great discovery tool to help with License compliance is

LOGInventory