How computer restarts

Thread: How computer restarts

How computer restarts

Hi all

I was wondering today in my computer organisation lecture in college that how is that the computer when given to restart from any os on a multi-os system executes the last instruction of restart after the fact that it once actually gets shut down.

How it gets the instruction to restart once all processes end?

The RAM, cache and registers get flushed once pc shuts down. Then how the computer is able to restart.

Can anyone help me out here.............

Thanx.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Hi

Moreover the ROM has the bootstrap loader and it can only be read. No manipulations are possible on ROM and once we restart, rather than rebooting the same os it asks for os choice as if the bootstrap loader is again reactivated.

So how is it that the computer restarts?

Is there something that still remains active when we restart the computer and the computer doesnt actually shuts down.

Please provide the technical details and possible links and reading suggessions.

Thanx
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

I believe the CMOS is responisble for that, thats why all computer have a small battery.

not sure if its BIOS or CMOS right now !
    StreetsCrack.com Join The Best Music Social Network Online. Music downloads, promotions, forums, profile, games etc...

not sure if its BIOS or CMOS right now !
    BIOS is a program with configuration stored in CMOS. So in a way it's both. Basic Input Output System parameters are stored in a physical Complimentary Metal Oxcide Symicondoctor.

I have seen bios also used as Basic Input Output Set in some text. For windows there are startup files that can be written and read on bootup when the kernal starts. And in formation on boot status either cold or warm is written determined in BIOS.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

The reason it restarts, instead of shutting down, is that this behavior
    is the default. As long as the power is still on, the computer will attempt
    to restart after you shut the OS down. It is in the same state as if you
    had just turned the power on.

Today's computers do have a way of shutting down without restarting.
    The OS can shut down an ATX power supply, thus performing a system
    shutdown.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

the RESTART is a command that is understood by the BIOS.. so any OS will send this command and the BIOS will obey..

the command is sent, like every other BIOS command.. like" OI BIOS. Whats your Time.". and "Slack Ass..Here is the correct Time"..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Slack Ass..
    Must be a Phoenix bios/windows combination.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Just a little tip and info on restarting your computer:

It's always best to completly shutdown your computer, because when you restart you skip the POST (POST = power on self test)
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Slack Ass..

Must be a Phoenix bios/windows combination.
    LOL

forgot that I was talking to professional IT people.. not dopey arsed salespeople

The Duck is right.. have had some bloody funny problems with Hardware installs.. .. powerdown and remove powerlead.. wait for a while.. a long while.....
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr