Thread: Microsoft offers $5 windfall for errant software

Hoopy Frood

Microsoft offers $5 windfall for errant software

Does anyone else find this to be a pathetically small amount? I mean, what gives? $5? Gee, Microsoft, your program wiped my Hard Drive, but I don't care because you gave my enough money to buy myself lunch sometime! /end stupid user.

Afraid Microsoft's anti-spyware will muck up your hard drive, erasing your digital photos, music collection and work files?

Don't worry, you've got a $5 rebate coming your way in this worst-case scenario--enough to buy five songs on iTunes. That is, if you read and take advantage of Microsoft's legal promise.

According to the AntiSpyware Beta end-user license agreement (EULA), Microsoft will reimburse direct damages up to $5 for problems associated with the new downloadable tool that wards off spyware, adware and any other "potentially unwanted software."

"It also applies even if Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages," states the agreement, in all capital letters.
    Full article: http://news.zdnet.com/Microsoft+offe...feed&subj=zdnn
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard

Hi xierox,

Are you kidding me...5 bucks...is that in U.S. dollars?...I'm gonna run down and treat myself to a pop and a big bag o' chips right now!...and mail the change to Microsoft with a big thank-you for their generous offer which comes from their heart!...right after they find one that is!

Got to give them credit...they got shafting people down to a science...eh?

Eg

hey, its more than most comapnies would give you. the product is in beta, which means it has flaws. they could have just shoved a little disclaimer in their and said **** off. sure 5 bucks wont cover nearly anyhting, and it is probably a big waste becasue I doubt anyone will claim it. But think about it. say every person with a windows computer downloads this product (wont happen, but still) thats severel hundred million copies of the program out there. now if there is even one bag bug, it would **** over every one of their computers, now if everyone collected thats several hundred million, if not a billion dollars. MS could not handle that type of pay out, and im sure their are laws against making offers like this that you cannot back, it owul db like a bank running out of money (remember the bank runs durring the depression?). Im sure their owuld be a legal issue raised if they offered more then they could pay out.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO French Antique News Whore
    I allready made a thread here

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...437#post825437

.... Can a mod merge them?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hoopy Frood
    Originally posted here by XTC46
    hey, its more than most comapnies would give you.
    Just the same, I think I'd be more insulted than grateful to receieve a check for $5.

Originally posted here by SDK
    I allready made a thread here

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...437#post825437

.... Can a mod merge them?
    My bad, dude. The "Has this Been Posted Before" didn't find it. :-/

- Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard

AO French Antique News Whore
    Np, I change the title to be eye caching but I guest I miss it!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

********** |ceWriterguy
    I would've sent this to M$ feedback, but I'm too lazy to look up their link -

Wow. 5 whole bucks. That's bigger than the gnp of Fiji! I could buy myself a whole half-case of Dr. Pepper with that kinda money. You're sure Bill can afford it? Ok, I gotta go now, it's time to load up Slackware and forget you forever.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hoopy Frood
    I can't even find link. And I believe you need to actually have your software damaged before you can claim the money. Not positive on that, though.

- Xierox

-- Søren Kierkegaard