Thread: Non-computer question, Passive Subwoofer & New Home Theatre Receiver

Non-computer question, Passive Subwoofer & New Home Theatre Receiver

i doubt i should even be asking this question on this site but i figured since so many people know about computers i figured someone could help me with this dilemna. I recently bought a new 6.1 channel Sony receiver. It has an RCA connection for the subwoofer on back of the receiver. however, on my passive subwoofer it has clip type terminals on the back of it. I bought an RCA to 2 tinned wires cable from radio shack but i still get no sound out of the subwoofer. I'm guessing the subwoofer is not getting power from the receiver. If anyone can help me out with this bizarre question it would greatly be appreciated. hope i do not get banned for asking such a non computer related question. thanks for your time.

Re: Non-computer question, Passive Subwoofer & New Home Theatre Receiver

Call (toll free) 1-800-THE-SHACK and the oldtimers at RadioShack will tell you what's going wrong. They've helped me since 1995 a plethora of times. Things from HAM radio parts, cables, modified scanners, dust solder, rockford fosgate car amps etc.....( They don't even sell rockford fosgate, stuff I didn't even purchase from them )

I'm not aware of such things as "passive" subwoofer I think you'd better go and buy a decent active subwoofer for your 6.1 receiver (you already have 6 speakers right?). And this time make sure it's got RCA connector. It's worth it (I like deep bass sound). I've got a 6.1 receiver and 6.1 speaker set (both from Yamaha, so they're surely compatible) in my room. Never watch movie without it.

Sorry if I'm not answering your question...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

post the Manufacturer and model of the subwoofer. Many have those little clips because they are cheal and the subwoofer holds the amplifiers to feed the surround speakers. Sometimes there is a poprietary cable that runs from the reciever to the subwoofer. Other times it's a digitial cable because the decompressor or converter is in the subwoofer cabinet. There can't be such a thing as a passive subwoofer without and active one somewhere. They do often contain passive elements however. Like another passive radiator that is a speaker just setting there that vibrates from the active speaker and enhances the base sound with no addition power. My kick ass concert size Klipsh speakers has these. Many do, without the users knowledge.

Again post the exact model of the subwoofer, your speaker system, and add in the Receiver. Computer geeks also like digital sound toys to crank out massive volumes while running security sweeps. Or fragging lammas.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Passive Sub Woofer = No Amplifier no inbuilt amplifier
    Active Sub = it has an amplifier

Your Passive Sub has only a few Filter components like a few Coils (inductors), Capacitors and Resistors.. No Active Components like transistors or IC's.. It requires an Amplified input: the signal input is Speaker-Load Level, rated in watts RMS or PMPO (Phake Music Power Output), and an input impedance of 4 to 16 ohms..

by contrast an Active Sub will have what is listed above as well as an Amplifier circuit (the missing active components) .. some will as commented by RoadClosed will also have surround (AC3)decoders and sattilite speaker amplifiers.. these speakers require a signal that is no greater in level than Line level (1V p-p on 100k line impedance)

here read this artical..it will explain..

http://hometheaterinfo.com/sub-woof.htm

the output of your 6.1 is a line level output which requires an amplifier before it goes to a speaker

BAsicly you need to provide an amplifier for the Sub channel (you can confirm this by readding the info with your home thearter equipment.. just the specs.. )

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks Und. That makes sense in this context that the subwoofer requires amplified power. It's confusing since in an electronic sense the term passive is used for speakers that never get power. They just set there and virate. In this case it still requires power but from and external amplifier and the reciever only provides low level line outputs. The sell cheap single channel power amps. With shipping the cost goes up but a local store might have some like Radio Shack.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Thank you all for your responses. I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that the subwoofer needed power. I knew i had an old receiver lying around my house so i plugged in the speaker to the clip on terminals. Connected an rca cable from the sub out on the new receiver and plugged the other end into the CD input on the back of the old receiver and presto, it works. All it needed was power. Thanks for all your help.

Passive and Active:

Basicly..

the component is acted upon by the incoming signal that is Passive
    But if the Component Acts apon the signal in some way ie Amplifies it.. it is Active

passive.. the amplifier is elsewhere..dosent need a power source..but needs a powerful signal (Amplified )
    active..... the amplifier is internal - Needs a power source(electrical).. and need a weak signal source..

I should have said this the first time..

cheers

(I better shut up now.. I was about to get stuck into the "correct" terms and the the wherefores and there arts of transistor amplifier theory..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Go for it. I haven't played with transistor theory for a while. But since it's a theory and some teach electro motive force from negative to positive and electron flow from positive to negative and some the opposite the terms aren't so concrete these days. But, I agree with you totally, I was looking at it from a perspective of a passive radiator. No signal there at all. Wasn't up on bass lingo. In electronic terms I could see it as a passive versus active filter. When I posted that link I found several very cheap kits for the do it your selfer. Should have posted them.
    West of House

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I was taught that electrons flow from negative to positive
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools