Linksys wrt54g and Sveasoft

Thread: Linksys wrt54g and Sveasoft

Linksys wrt54g and Sveasoft

In a thread about a linksys exploit, I linked some interested parties on how to get the Sveasoft firmware without paying the $20 fee.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...3&pagenumber=2

I have a belkin 54g router that I'm using as just an access point.
    I have a couple of best buy gift cards that have been burning a hole in my pocket.
    I was thinking about setting up this router with the Sveasoft firmware myself.

If nobody has messed with it yet, I'll just go buy it and let you know how I like it.
    I was wondering if anyone here had tried it out. If so, what did you think of it?

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    BTW: You may find the following links of some interest... the sveasoft firmware is GPL'd.

So some people have been nice enough to put up some torrents... easy enough.
    That is... if you don't want support and you are not using their method of distribution...

Now... the important part... links!

Post explaining GPL situation.
    Torrents! (not quite sure of legality... you decide)
    some possible legal mumbo jumbo...

I say try it. If you like it... what is the $20?
    If you try it and don't like it... will they refund you the $20?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well... I picked up a wrt54g today.

I tested it out with the default settings... worked fine.
    Enable the encryption and mac addy filtering and everything worked fine.

I then loaded the sveasoft firmware 6.0rc6a and it added a whole lot of functionality.
    Most importantly... signal strength!

I boosted the signal from the default 28mw to the max 251mw and it gave me about 14dBm gain.

This is without the additional high gain antennas... I was just using the stock antennas. I plan on getting the high gain antennas next pay. They are quite expensive... just about as much as the wireless router itself... however, the linksys antennas give a rating of 7dBm gain. I've seen some others that claim a 14dBm gain for half the price of the linksys brand.

My laptop was within 6 feet of the access point so I can test the signal strength accurately.

I used netstumbler to check out the strength.

If anyone is interested in the log file... let me know.

So.. this firmware will def. do the job. Even if you just want it for the increased signal.

IMO- It is worth the $20 for the supported version. The antennas will cost you about $70 for the pair. Keep in mind that the $20 only gets you support and unlimited access to the firmware releases. But, from what I've seen... you can already get unlimited access to the releases through the torrent site. My bittorrent download was completed in under 30 seconds or so.

I've only tested the signal strength so far. I plan on using this router at my girlfriend's house along with the other features.

One I know I'll use... Quality of Service. (QoS) to limit a roomates habit of downloading pr0n from p2p apps. I hate when he has so many downloading and I can't surf the web or etc. I'll just make HTTP, HTTPS, SSHD, etc. a priority over the different downloading protocols. p2p apps, ftp, etc.

Sweet!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.