Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenstein Upgrade issues

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    but here's a funky problem i ran into - when i tried to add a slave, no hard drive is found. doesn't matter if i use the 4 gig or the 80 gig as the master. this might be due to the bios issue tho.
    Your BIOS can only see 4GB MAX, new BIOS or not.
    Old systems / MoBo's CPU's etc are NOT supported, everything has to end, and in IT, the end is quicker than most

There is a VERY good chance that your 'Latest' BIOS is still pre-massive GB HDD's. [over 4GB]

My first serious system was a 486 DX2 66 MHz CPU with 300MB HDD and 16 MB of RAM, running Windows 3.11.
    It was a work unit, the PPA to the MD had used it, so we're talking the dogs bollox of systems too

And that was in 1995 .............TEN YEARS
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

*lol* i still have a 486 sitting in my closet. all i ever used it for was surfing the net.

i'm embarassed to say i have no system of my own right now, but to be honest, after working all day on pcs and in pcs, i have no interest in my off hours.

in any case - i'm concerned that the bios update won't work. But according to Asus's site, the P2B hits the wall at above 120gb (that 137gb limit thing) after the bios flash. But the flash is supposed to allow it to see anything between 65 and 120gb.

Asus has always been trustworthy in my experience, so we'll see.

if worse comes to worse and i can't get it to work, then i'll just trade in the harddrive for a cd burner and tell her to put everything there.

besides, with the cable modem i can totally uninstall that godawful aol and free up some room on the original HD

Originally posted here by foxyloxley

My first serious system was a 486 DX2 66 MHz CPU with 300MB HDD and 16 MB of RAM, running Windows 3.11.
    It was a work unit, the PPA to the MD had used it, so we're talking the dogs bollox of systems too

And that was in 1995 .............TEN YEARS

you know this actually reminded me, in about 1993-94 i remember speaking with a coworker - she had told me her husband built PCs in the basement, and that he was working on this superfast new computer with a 1 Gig hard drive. I remember saying "OMG - i want a computer with a 1 Gig drive" and she said to me "you would NEVER need that much space for a personal computer - that's for whole companies to use!"

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    "OMG - i want a computer with a 1 Gig drive" and she said to me "you would NEVER need that much space for a personal computer - that's for whole companies to use!"
    Very true ..........
    My first set of back ups for work data, was on A 3.5" floppy [one off] and it took almost TWO YEARS to fill it

After three years, we had managed to fill FOUR floppies ...............
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

*lol* how did data get so big? i'll blame it on bill.

in any case, i finally got this computer sorted. the bios update did the trick with getting the large hard drive recognized. then my next snag was getting an operating system on it. I did consider the master/slave idea, however, even after the update the system choked when i had both drives on the same cable. and of course the cds for xp and 2000 either didn't boot, didn't install or had invalid serial numbers, so finally 8 hours later, i wound up unplugging the cd player, and using the second primary for the big hard drive, digging up my ghost 5.1 floppy and cloning the current ME 4gig to the 80 gig. wish i'd thought of that sooner. it was much easier and worked like a charm.

and the machine is "flying" right now. I just can't wait to get rid of this stupid dialup.

thanks for your help foxey!